All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bucks for Birds

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
If anyone has private land on which I could hunt upland game birds for a week or less this fall, or has other proposals to hunt either wild pheasant, quail, or upland birds other than ruffed grouse, I would like to trade a whitetail hunt at my place for a bird hunt. I have three very good bird dogs and don't need anything other than being pointed in the right direction. I was suppose to go to Montana the first week of October but it fell through so looking for a backup at this point. Thanks for considering. PM if you have any ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where are you located?

Where do you want to bird hunt?

Where do you want to bird hunt?

I don't really have a preference. I wanted to go to Montana this fall, but not likely to happen. To make a long story short, wanted to get into bird dogs and birds since a boy. Got my first one, he was stolen about 7 years ago. Got my next one and he is a good one. Got my second and he is a runner up national champion and got the third and she is great too. I just want to go lots of places and chase wild birds.

I have a friend who went to the Dakotas one year. His brother worked as a missionary on and Indian reservation.
I believe he told me they paid a fee to hunt on it. Said there were pheasant everywhere but they wouldn't fly. Just outran the dogs.

Maybe do some searching on that.

WTNUT,
You could hunt prairie chickens and sharp tailed grouse on Pierre National grasslands between Pierre and Presho SD.
We usually stay at Hutch's Motel in Presho. The prairie grouse hold well in the early season ( temperatures could be too warm though) but flush wilder than the pheasants in late season. Last year we went to Farson, WY (BLM land) for sage grouse then north of Malta, MT (Block management land) for sharp tails with one covey of Huns found. Long drive from Arkansas though. The area around Plentywood, MT is supposed to be good for prairie grouse and pheasant but I haven't hunted it.

I have a friend who went to the Dakotas one year. His brother worked as a missionary on and Indian reservation.
I believe he told me they paid a fee to hunt on it. Said there were pheasant everywhere but they wouldn't fly. Just outran the dogs.

Maybe do some searching on that.

Do you know what reservation? My dogs are actually in Montana right now working on wild birds then going to run a field trial out there.

It is such a long way to drive to Nebraska, the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, Iowa or any state where you can run big running dogs that you hate to take off without some idea where to go.

I may have a plan started with regard to one hunt, but plan on bird hunting another 20 years so one plan will not be enough ha ha.

I'll see what I can find out.

I have lots of grouse and a secluded beaver pond loaded with geese. I have a bird dog but not enough time to work with her on it. Instead she rides shotgun with me doing habitat work.

Chummer - I am going to bet she does not get much exercise riding shotgun lol We road our dogs about 8 months out of the year to keep them fit and happy. Attempting to ride is a big no ....... When you road six dogs at a time no one gets to ride shotgun - in a dog box in the back yes but not shotgun :)

Wish we had more grouse but nearly all gone now.

Chummer - I am going to bet she does not get much exercise riding shotgun lol We road our dogs about 8 months out of the year to keep them fit and happy. Attempting to ride is a big no ....... When you road six dogs at a time no one gets to ride shotgun - in a dog box in the back yes but not shotgun :)

Wish we had more grouse but nearly all gone now.

She gets some running too. Actually I have never seen a dog that can run as hard and as long as her. While I am putting around she is constantly running from one side to the other. She almost ran down a turkey this year. Dumb thing waited to long and couldn't fly fast enough. Not sure how she didn't get that one. Grouse is the one animal that thrives near us. This was a good year, I have seen lots while working this summer. You could do a salmon, grouse combo. Invitation is open.

Well I blundered that. Just called my old friend.

It was pine ridge Indian res in NW Nebraska. He said if you have a dog, you don't need a guild. Also said it was worth every penny.