All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brush Cutter Suggestions

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Hey Guys ... looking for input on a brush cutter/mower.

I would put on my tractor 3-point. Tractor is 6' wide.

Mostly cutting weeds tall grasses (eg carnary) , blackberries, and small trees/shrubs. Unlikely i would try to cut anything with a diameter > 0.5".

Would like your thoughts of brands and things to consider. I heard at one point that blade speed may be different if you are cutting primarily grass/weeds versu saplings.

Let me know your thoughts & experiences.

I had a 6 foot king cutter that did a good job. The only thing I didn't like was as a 3 point it would bottom out when the tractor was starting up a hill. I've since traded it for a used 10 foot John Deere pull type mower and I'll never go back to 3 point. Used it was cheaper than a new 3 point King cutter.

Never heard of two different speeds. I do know a finish mower does a nicer job on clover and grass than a brush cutter.

I have a three point Land Pride 60 inch brush hog. I believe the model number is a 1560. I have used it for 25 years on my property. It needs regular maintenance, as my land has lots of rocks and sandy soil. That combination is hard on blades. When I mow, I like to mow low. I sharpen the blades every season and change them as needed. Keep the oil in the gearbox topped off. I reinforced the side plates of mine because of the rock issue. I mow every year. I did a lot more mowing in the past on fallow fields that are now in production.
You did not mention the horse power of the tractor. The mower must be suitable for HP of your tractor. Land Pride makes several mowers. Check them out.

General rule of thumb is 5 PTO hp per foot of mower. If your not mowing any brush and mostly grass a medium mower will work fine for your application. I have a 6' woods and it works very well.

I have a three point Land Pride 60 inch brush hog. I believe the model number is a 1560. I have used it for 25 years on my property. It needs regular maintenance, as my land has lots of rocks and sandy soil. That combination is hard on blades. When I mow, I like to mow low. I sharpen the blades every season and change them as needed. Keep the oil in the gearbox topped off. I reinforced the side plates of mine because of the rock issue. I mow every year. I did a lot more mowing in the past on fallow fields that are now in production.
You did not mention the horse power of the tractor. The mower must be suitable for HP of your tractor. Land Pride makes several mowers. Check them out.

Tractor is 58 hp and 51 hp at the PTO.

Probably not what you're looking for but this is what I did last year. I don't have a tractor and the areas I have to keep clear amount to just over an acre total. I am expanding that by about a half acre right now though. Last year I rented one of the walk behind Billy Goats. That thing was a beast and served my purpose well. This year I'll rent it again when I need it until I can put aside enough money to by my own DR.

Tractor is 58 hp and 51 hp at the PTO.

JD4720?

I use a Woods 6' and it is very well built. 805 pounds I believe

JD4720?

I use a Woods 6' and it is very well built. 805 pounds I believe

Kubota MX5800 ... thanks, looking at the Landpride & Woods ... very focused on simple, reliable, and durable ... not looking for a mechanical engineering project ...

I like my Bush Hog Razorback, a friend has a Squealer. No complaints here.

I like my Bush Hog Razorback, a friend has a Squealer. No complaints here.

I like blonds, only have a brunette ... post is meaningless with out reasoning ...

I bought a 5' King Kutter and mow whatever my 33hp MFWD 955 Deere will push over with the bucket! I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and you can purchase a slip clutch pretty cheap too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the tractor hp you have go 7fter, slip clutch, chain guards front and back, laminated tail wheel. Brands, pick what you like as long as listed as medium duty. Having parts local not that big a consideration since maybe after 8-10 yrs replace the blades and pivot bolts. If you have to travel to find a dealer of the brand you like, not like you will do it all the time. A rig like that probably weighs around 1000-1100 lbs. Somewhere around 7 to 8 ft wide they go dual tail wheels. I have lots of rocks, stumps, other obstacles to deal with and adjust with 3 pt alot. If you don't have those, maybe the pull type is fine. No experience with those however.

Anything over 6 foot makes it a bit more difficult getting around in the woods. At least on my place that's the case.

Does anyone have any experience cutting standing corn stalks or other fibrous items?

Does anyone have any experience cutting standing corn stalks or other fibrous items?
Brush Cutters are not great for cutting corn stocks. I understand you can tilt the back of the mower down a little and that will help mulch up the stocks. I purchased a flail mower a few years ago for chopping stocks and that does a nice job.

I agree with the comments about a rigid top link being a nuisance on uneven terrain. I just made a hinged top link for mine. Some guys are also making a short link out of chain to allow the mower to follow the terrain. It's a simple problem to fix.

I have a 6ft Land Pride, I don't recall the model number off hand but I went went the heavy duty version and have no regrets. I've reclaimed some pretty nasty stuff around our house and barn and Ive only managed to bend up the guards and put a few dents in the sides. I have a 40hp Kubota and its a little more than my tractor wants in the thick grasses.

^^^^ Something like this perhaps?
35-130 HP with 6 ft width
Land Pride's medium-duty RCR26 Series Rotary Cutters are ideal for cutting on gently sloping or slightly contoured rights-of-way, pastures, set aside acres, and row crop fields.

That's why I mentioned medium duty rating as when you get into the decent brands, a medium duty is still rated for 100+ HP

A "heavy duty" Landpride is just that....but overkill for the OP needs and not even in the hp range of most compact tractors
50-190 HP
The Land Pride RCF36 Series Rotary Cutter is a brute, featuring a 190 HP gearbox capable of cutting heavy grass and weeds, row crop stubble, thick brush, and small trees up to 4" in diameter. The RCF36 has a smooth top design and offers a 2" to 12" cutting height range

I mow my corn stalks just about every year even though I have no till planting done on my land. My Land Pride mower does a decent job. I feel like I am getting better and faster decomposition of the organic material to add to my top soil. The FEL of the tractor pushes the standing stalks down before they are mowed. I try to do this as early as possible to give the stalks the greatest time before the current years planting to decompose. I have about 5 to 7 acres of corn in any given year to help the deer through the winter. By spring, the fields are totally cleaned up with the turkeys finding any leftovers after the snow has melted. The entire job only takes a few hours of tractor time.