All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brassicas too thick?

We use it for work, and I just so happen to be the guy who can make the call to have it wherever I want it when it's not needed at work. I decided to take it to the farm.

Here's the rig w/ my dad posing by it.

Very nice setup!

[

Part of the learning curve with this high end no till is its hard to trust that the seed is getting into the ground like it should be. Still working up my own "cheat sheet" for our planting rates. I know you think you have it straight, but then at the end you have some seed left and its tempting to go make a couple laps in front of where your stand is gonna be.[/QUOTE]

I am laughing my ass off with the statement above! Your rate was a little high on the PTT, but I love that you are having a hard time trusting the seed is getting where it should be with that drill.

Trust old WTNUT, if you are planting in dry ground you can bet the farm on that drill! The only time you might have a problem, which I explained to your father is: 1. Make sure the mice have not built a nest and clogged the seed tubes; and 2. If you try to plant in wet soil you are going to clog the bottom of the drill between the blades and that will not allow the seed to hit the ground. So stay out of wet/damp ground that is damp enough to stick to the blades.

Did you put a redneck weight bracket on it yet? I offered him the cherry log I had cut to fit the back of the drill perfectly but he said you could cut your own ha ha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the same drill but made by Landpride. I use to plant ground hog radish and PTT together and found that the radish settled to bottom of seed box as i was planting, then at the end all I had was PTT. so now I drill the radish and broadcast PTT with much better even results

2. If you try to plant in wet soil you are going to clog the bottom of the drill between the blades and that will not allow the seed to hit the ground.

this is sound advice....
Nothing worse than laying in the mud picking mud out of the seed tube with a zillion bean seeds jammed in the tubes.

Not that I’ve done it myself, just something I’ve heard :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am laughing my ass off with the statement above! Your rate was a little high on the PTT, but I love that you are having a hard time trusting the seed is getting where it should be with that drill.

Trust old WTNUT, if you are planting in dry ground you can bet the farm on that drill! The only time you might have a problem, which I explained to your father is: 1. Make sure the mice have not built a nest and clogged the seed tubes; and 2. If you try to plant in wet soil you are going to clog the bottom of the drill between the blades and that will not allow the seed to hit the ground. So stay out of wet/damp ground that is damp enough to stick to the blades.

Did you put a redneck weight bracket on it yet? I offered him the cherry log I had cut to fit the back of the drill perfectly but he said you could cut your own ha ha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It all worked out. Actually, had a little rain dampen the ground as I was getting ready to plant. Everything is coming up green.

I didn't get the log cut, and dad didn't wanna haul it on the back, but we're not short on weight trees at the farm, if we do beans or corn in the spring, we'll have to do that.

My mind tells me to shut up and believe in the drill, my heart has trust issues.

Any shortcomings on the planting are not the fault of the drill. They're the fault of the operator.

I know this is old but since it is a mix I don’t think you should have too much trouble. I follow the LC mix which is 10 pounds (setting 45) on my GP drill and always have great results. Also using the small seed box I have never seen issues with seeds separating to a point I end up with just one type of seed left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk