Boss Buck Gravity Feeders

Fat Lab

Yearling... With promise
I have spoken with a plantation manager that is running 16 of the gravity type feeders with good success. We have a hog problem when feeding corn off of the ground. When we stop making it readily available they move on. For anyone who has or do currently run them, how do you like them? How long before the deer took to them?

I have 350 lb models. They work great but you need to be there every 3 weeks to fill them. I can not do that so I put the spinner heads on them and get 3 plus months out of them.

What if you have black bears, I'm sure they would get destroyed???

Black bears will tear up almost every feeder. I have put 55gal spin feeders suspended on a cable between 2 trees. They figured out that the boat winch rope that was in a third tree 9' off the ground would trickle corn from the feeder if they hit it hard enough. They eventually broke the rope but the empty feeder was jammed into the pulley in the middle of the cable. Tripod feeders are pushed over, and the mechanism chewed. My last attempt involved 17foot 2 3/8" diameter pipe concreted in the ground. The 55 gallon drums ( with spin feeders on the bottoms) were bolted to the side of the pipe which was vertical. The bottom of the feeders were at least 10' off the ground and we still have had some of the spin feeders ripped off. We will probably have to weld barbed wire to the pipes. On the other hand trough type feeders are not torn up, they just eat what they want. If you are getting bear pics on your cameras you won't be getting many deer pics .

They took a couple weeks to start using but depending on what you feed there will be enough spillage to keep hogs around maybe.I mix corn and record rack and there is enough corn on ground to attract coons

My impression is that the new "shark teeth strips" made by Boss Buck are not sharp and don't deter coons from climbing the legs. I suspect that the tooling has worn over time.