Blueberries

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I am in northern Wisconsin, has anyone tried growing blueberries this for north with success? I just wanted to add another fruit to my list, and figured why not blueberries.

I am in northern Wisconsin, has anyone tried growing blueberries this for north with success? I just wanted to add another fruit to my list, and figured why not blueberries.
Don't know why you couldn't. I have some wild ones on my property and I'm just a little south of you. They grow up in Canada.
I think you'll need acidic soul though.

For human consumption or wildlife purposes? We grow them in peat moss bales here as our soil is way too basic and trying to keep soil at the right pH is more work. We have had great luck growing them in peat moss bales.

I wouldn’t think you have to much trouble growing them where your at they grow wild in several areas up there lots of them around Iron River along US 2.

I can't speak to your soil, but I would look towards low bush varieties. I believe they are tougher and generally have a better tasting berry.

My soil is about 5.5 naturally. Not sure where it would need to be at for growing blueberries?

You should be good. I use miracle gro for acid plants a couple times a year. Make sure they are well mulched. They have shallow root systems so you need the mulch to maintain moisture.

Are you creating a food plot for bears 😳😁

Are you creating a food plot for bears 😳😁
Well I have about 30 apple trees, 50 plum trees, and 50 cherry trees, those bear already have a dream feeding ground. The bear will just have more options, and maybe leave my trees alone more :)

Well I have about 30 apple trees, 50 plum trees, and 50 cherry trees, those bear already have a dream feeding ground. The bear will just have more options, and maybe leave my trees alone more :)
Plant some oaks - rapid-producing types. The acorns will keep 'em busy in the fall - and maybe away from your apple trees. Good acorn years here in Pa. - the bears will stay in the woods gorging on fat-packed acorns.

While you're at it, probably should add a room on so they have a comfy place to sleep it off! 🤣

There's been bears all around the neighborhood here the past few months. A momma and 2 cubs came through our screened backporch in April.
I've been sending the wife out to the blueberry and raspberry patches first to scare them away!

Plant some oaks - rapid-producing types. The acorns will keep 'em busy in the fall - and maybe away from your apple trees. Good acorn years here in Pa. - the bears will stay in the woods gorging on fat-packed acorns.
I have many producing oaks on my land, no need to plant any. I have been opening them up a little by cutting some of the trees around them for firewood. That should help with acorn production as well.

I have many producing oaks on my land, no need to plant any. I have been opening them up a little by cutting some of the trees around them for firewood. That should help with acorn production as well.
Good deal.

You shouldn't have a problem growing blueberries. They grow way up on the Canadian shield.

But may I suggest honeyberry/haskap? They are very easy to grow, and they taste similar to North American varieties of blueberry.

Ya we pick them in Canada hours straight north of us here in NW Wisconsin and there are blueberry growers all around us here. The real problem is are we to far south if anything? Im struggling with mine as I didnt emend the soil and likely have to high of a pH, but we are getting our first blueberries this year. Check your pH but I image up where you are the soil is poorer which is likely better for them anyways.