Betsy Deaton loaded with apples

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
This may be the most reliable apple tree I grow. It blooms late and escapes a lot of frosts. Big crops are the norm. I've never seen any FB or Scab, but do see minor to moderate CAR most years; however, not enough for crops to be affected. It is loaded this year, and about tied with Brush Mountain Limbertwig on number of apples.

Betsy will make a nice red medium sized apple with a good taste and ripens starting early August to sometime in early September.

UKpER0Eh.jpg

y2IRZ05h.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful Steve! Keep those apple pics coming! Gives us new guys hope!

I have a 2 year old Betsy Deaton that I grafted after reading about your experiences. It is a vigorous grower. My 4 year old Brushy Mt. LT's are carrying some apples this year.

This may be the most reliable apple tree I grow. It blooms late and escapes a lot of frosts. Big crops are the norm. I've never seen any FB or Scab, but do see minor to moderate CAR most years; however, not enough for crops to be affected. It is loaded this year, and about tied with Brush Mountain Limbertwig on number of apples.

Betsy will make a nice red medium sized apple with a good taste sometime late September.

UKpER0Eh.jpg

y2IRZ05h.jpg

Does it have relation/heritage ties to Court Pendu Plat (the wise apple) which avoids frosts and blooms later than most other apples? Just curious, nice looking tree!

Thought you guys might like an update on this one. A few are beginning to ripen and several have already hit the ground. I went ahead and picked some of the reddest ones this morning.

A2Okb92h.jpg

Do you thin your trees at all when they are overly heavy? Or after a certain of age do you just let them go?

Do you thin your trees at all when they are overly heavy? Or after a certain of age do you just let them go?

I would a young tree, but at some point I just let them go. I do understand why people who grow apples for sale need to thin them. Looks and size are important.

I will occasionally thin a pear tree to keep it from breaking out limbs. Moonglow is a bad one to get overloaded, and the pears are really large, so thinning is sometimes necessary.