All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bamboo

Charman03

5 year old buck +
considering planting some bamboo along my west property line to keep my neighbor from always scoping out my side and hunting the edge looking my way. Also just because it's pretty open over there. Yes or no on the bamboo or suggestions for something better. Not looking to put better habitat on that side bc I have it on the east away from this clown, but would love to block his view. His backyard butts up to my woods

There's some on my dad's place that was planted 20yrs ago that stays standing all winter and provides a little bit of screening in the winter, but it's not great as you can still see through it.

Locally cedar is the best screen that doesn't attract deer. It grows fast and provides a complete blockage that you can't see through.

When I think "visual screen" I think conifers (cedar, spruce or pine). I'm not a fan of pine because the deer tend to browse and rub them and some are not as effective as screens as they get significantly bigger. I also have seen vining honeysuckle produce some great screening cover as well, but deer tend to browse it here so that may not be a good option. Would giant miscanthus be an option? Not sure exactly how tall you need.

I think it was here or another forum I saw where someone had put up plywood and or a poly tarp in his trees to block the view of a fence sitting neighbor! Pretty funny stuff!

Purists would say no because it's invasive and hard to kill. I've never seen bamboo invading anything, just expanding, so why not.

You could try and get Mexico to pay for a wall :D

How fast do cedars grow?

How fast do cedars grow?

I think that can vary some and what it's growing in. On my property I get 10-18" a year once the red cedar is a few feet tall and 6-10" a year prior to that as it has more grass and weeds to compete with.

We have native bamboo (cane) in this area. It gets about 9 feet tall. It makes an incredible screen year round. About the only place you see it growing wild now is in fence rows and along creek banks, because farmers have eliminated it from fields. I planted a small patch in my back yard and can take a pic if you want to see what it looks like.

A few years ago a nursery in this state was selling plugs. I talked to the guy about it but don't remember the cost. He said you planted the plug like every 8 feet and waited for it to fill in the gaps. He said you would spay occasionally with 24D to knock back any trees until it gets established. A thick patch of cane is beautiful and maintenance free. Also grows very well in partial shade. Rich, damp soils along stream banks is a place it thrives.