Balansa clover

S.T.Fanatic

5 year old buck +
Anyone on here have experience frost seeding Balansa clover? I frost seeded mine a few weeks ago and would like to know what to expect for growth by June. I am using it as a cover crop for my Sugar Beets and in another strip that will be late summer TNM PTT/GFR planting.

Now that's tonnage!

How do the deer like it? I have an area that can get pretty wet at times, this might fit the bill!

How do the deer like it? I have an area that can get pretty wet at times, this might fit the bill!

Deer hammered the fixation clover we planted 2 years ago.
e5bb930624be4d68aef3a536052a9d7b.jpg

This is not mowed, but browsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fantastic!!

Before I saw that “mowed, not browsed” all I could think was Lord Have Mercy!!!

I checked one of my frost seeded plots yesterday after work and didn't see any sign of germinating clover. Not sure what to think. I was hoping to get a good stand to use as green fertilizer that is more plant available but not sure it is going to pan out. I wont be planting until early June so I have time. I also have my doubts it's going to work out. I'll keep you updated. I'm going to check the other plot again on Saturday when we are down to burn and getting soil samples.

Balansa does much better fall planted than spring planted.

Anyone in the northern states plant Fixation Balansa ?? Just wondering how it does in colder climates.

Baker - That stand of Balansa is incredible !! Pic is a magazine cover.

Anyone in the northern states plant Fixation Balansa ?? Just wondering how it does in colder climates.

Mine was seeded three weeks ago and still nothing. Minnesota is pretty far North.

I went to the farm this weekend. 6 does were grazing on the food plot closest to our camp. This is a mix of fixation and crimson clover, along with rye and wheat. Same plot as my above photo.
cd31c0cc27fe0aaafc4d038089759336.jpg

109dfed84e605923bed1bb9373a6339c.jpg

We harvested 13 deer this past year off 160 acres and have 8.5 acres of food plots. I guess we will try for 15-20 next year.

None of the other plots have been hit as hard as the one above.
654e83375b31ca164b5aba2f3ea95fd8.jpg

Everything he and Native Hunter grow belongs on mag covers

bill

^^^ Yep.

Before I saw that “mowed, not browsed” all I could think was Lord Have Mercy!!!

It was NOT mowed. Re-read his post.

I have to think it should frost seed okay because balansa has a high percentage of hard seed. Hard seed takes a lot longer to germinate, correct? I imagine a lot of the seed will lay dormant for an extended time.
Welters catalog says a balansa stand, if left to go to seed, will create an almost perpetual clover stand. Mine has persisted for several years but it is less pervasive each year. I assume that the seed that balansa produces in the first summer doesn't germinate until the following year(s), so it should frost seed, right??

We got a decent amount of rain last week and had three days in the 70's and low 80's. I'm hoping to see germination later this week but who knows.

I checked on my frost deeded balansa clover yesterday. I have no idea if its what I planted or if its just in the soil bank but there is a fair amount of short clover starting to show up in the areas that I frost seeded. I am going to be tilling one section down sometime this week if it dries out so my intention of N fixation will be of little value. The next strip over is going to be August TNM brassica so I may see better benefit of the fixed N for that crop.

I checked on my frost deeded balansa clover yesterday. I have no idea if its what I planted or if its just in the soil bank but there is a fair amount of short clover starting to show up in the areas that I frost seeded. I am going to be tilling one section down sometime this week if it dries out so my intention of N fixation will be of little value. The next strip over is going to be August TNM brassica so I may see better benefit of the fixed N for that crop.
Are you questioning if its actually balansa clover or another variety?
Any chance of getting some pics of that clover?

Are you questioning if its actually balansa clover or another variety?
Any chance of getting some pics of that clover?

Yes and Yes. I will be going back down at some point this week.