Backpack sprayer for invasive brush control

hilltopper

5 year old buck +
Honeysuckle and Japanese barberry are just starting to spread on my property. Not bad yet- want to nip them in the bud. What kind of backpack sprayer would you recommend- a battery powered 19 lb pack by Hudson or a solo hand pump with piston? Or something else (Stihl?)? Will Roundup at 2% do it?

Not sure on the herbicide for those but I like cheap. Been using a backpack sprayer from harbor frieght for 3 years now.
When it breaks I'll toss it. Got a pool noodle and cut it down for shoulder strap padding. Got that tip here a few years ago.

https://t.harborfreight.com/4-gal-backpack-sprayer-63036.html

Do a search there is always a 20% off coupon for harbor freight

Just ordered it with 20% off coupon code. So cheap I would have hesitated without the recommendation. Thanks.

I do like my stihl, but have nothing to compare it to. Nothing has broken on it yet in several years, although make sure to turn the lid on tight or you will get an ass full of chemicals when you bend. I turn mine on so tight that I need a strap filter wrench on my breaker bar to loosen it. On a side-note, I could start my habitat thread and title it "Invasives". I usually feel like I'm just spinning my wheels. I've heard the battery sprayers are good.

Just ordered it with 20% off coupon code. So cheap I would have hesitated without the recommendation. Thanks.

Battery powered ... no recommendations ... I am looking forward to the ... "why doesn't this work ... corrosion ... OMG" ... thread next year.

I would recommend a hand pump back pack sprayer, something you can wahdown & spray to completely clean.

This is a hand pump sprayer. But I'm skeptical it will last- cost $22 plus $6 shipping. For now, I'll take Bill's word on it.
Tree spud, where in Marquette County are you? I sent you a message in "personal conversations" ages ago.

This is a hand pump sprayer. But I'm skeptical it will last- cost $22 plus $6 shipping. For now, I'll take Bill's word on it.
Tree spud, where in Marquette County are you? I sent you a message in "personal conversations" ages ago.

HT ... my concern is that inexpensive back sprayers can wast a lot of time. We as habitat folks only use them occassionally then they sit. The chemicals and lack of cleaning can lead to problems.

Sorry if I missed your PM ... please resend.

Hey if yours doesn't work I'll send you my old one that still keeps, keeping on.
I clean it every time.

But it's only seen gly and Simazine.

Shouldn't say this but it has seen some diesel fuel for long term burn under an electric fence.

For $20 ish bucks I doubted it. Can't believe it's still working.

Now that I've recommended, it watch, Hilltop will get a dud. Hope not!

I own both battery powered and pump backpack sprayers. Pump is fine for one or two tanks, battery is better if you need to spray more then that. I get 5 or 6 tanks out of one battery charge. That is about all my back can handle at one time anyway. The battery sprayer is somewhat heavier, but worth the extra weight, when you have a lot of spraying to do.

Bill is right about checking out harbor freight, good quality stuff , reasonably priced.my dad has a 15 gallon tank from them that he rewired so he can plug it into his fourwheeler. Also check out tractor supply , if you have one near you. both places can get you set up.

My brother has two of the harbor freight cheapies and they seem to work just as well as my Stihl - but the Stihl sure does seem more tightly built. For what he pays for them he could go through three of them before he reaches the cost of my Stihl. He has had one fail on him before though so if and when it does you're out of commission. I guess that's why he has two.

Solo 425 model from northern tool. Easy to find coupon codes and free shipping. Put mine thru alot of abuse and has worked well. Also can upgrade and fit it with a 4' boom for spraying backwoods food plots or trails

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a Solo backpack for most work, but was wanting to treat thorn trees via basal bark treatment with diesel fuel and Remedy. Was thinking the diesel would ruin a pump so I bought the Harbor Freight backpack sprayer as a "disposable". surprisingly it still works fine three years later with NO cleaning.

Thats what i bought mine for - killing cottonwood with diesel/Garlon 4. Since the I have found many more uses for it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hilltopper check out tractor supply or other farm stores in your area for getting help with your sprays.

Go to the Gempler site and they have a video on both types of solo sprayers and their best application.

I just ordered the Harbor Freight one. I found a 20% off coupon code online. For $30 if it lasts me two or three seasons it was worth it.

I got (3) ECHO 4 Gallon backpack sprayers from Home Depot. I can't say enough good things about these.

I have finally been using my Harbor freight backpack sprayer. It works great. Can't speak for the long run, but the four or five times I've used it I have been very pleased. First back pack sprayer- I wonder why I ever used anything else. Do all of them just pressurize the smaller tube around the piston? It's nice not to have the pressure in the entire tank. Easy to clean too.

Thanks Bill!

I used my Harbor Freight one for the first time this past weekend. It was awesome. A great tool that fills the void when I need something to do an area too large for my small 2 gallon pump sprayer, but also don't need (or logistically cannot use) my 30 gal. pull behind sprayer.