B118 liberty 4 leaf

I've seen a few of them - all built into hillsides. I do have a hill behind the barn that could be carved out for a root cellar. Also have access to treated plywood although, certainly the cinder block would be nicer. Don't want to break the bank on one but it would be nice to have a 1 family sized one...

Root cellar....This would be a great topic for a new thread. Anyone have plans/photos/tips on building one??

Well, now that you mention it....
I will post as a new thread, also. As soon as someone can explain to me how to start a new thread...
This root cellar was cut into a hill with a tractor/font-end-loader. It is 8'Wide x 16'Long. Concrete block walls with gravel floor and concrete roof. Roof insulated with rigid foam and then buried with sand.

Last edited:
Awesome Prof Kent - thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the new thread and contributions from others as well.

Hoping to see something like that here at Lone Oak some time in the future...

How do you start a new thread?

Go back to the main category..."Fruit Trees". Up near the right hand corner is a post new thread icon.

My neighbors freedom on the same rootstock has been just as impressive for growth, disease resistance, and early fruit.

Impressive list, Prof. Kent. I like your videos as well.

It's great to see someone promoting Macoun so much. After I read about various apples, I became enamored with Macoun. I'm planning to graft a few of them into my new Orchard. It seems like a great all-around apple. I actually want something that will drop and feed the creatures when I'm not there to pick them.

Ontario bow season starts Oct. 1, and I would like to have apples on the ground luring them in. And I want a tasty apple to pick when I am there.

Chestnut crab is about done dropping the first week of October for me. It drops all of September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chestnut crab is about done dropping the first week of October for me. It drops all of September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have a Chestnut crab on B118 that will be going into it’s 3rd leaf this year. My Chestnut doesn’t seem to be as vigorous as the other 3 trees I planted at the same time. Galarina B118, Florina Q B118, and Wickson M111. All came from Cummins.

The majority of my liberty fruit is riddled with curculio damage. Same with Wolfriver. Cortland not as bad. Pests are there in the few I took. Cedar rust really bad this year.

Cedar rust is bad here too this year. I had none last year, but a lot this year. My chestnut, dolgo, Kerr, liberty galarina and enterprise are all pretty clean though

I think that Liberty's are close to a perfect wildlife apple. Good disease resistance, easy to maintain, dependable, early bearing tree. My Liberty's begin dropping apples in early/mid October and continue through late December or early January most years. In addition they are a good general purpose apple, great for pies and sauce. When planning my wildlife orchards, I was fortunate to include quite a few Liberty's, they have never disappointed.
I agree! Seems like they know right where to throw branches out! An at just the right angle too! Liberty is the first of my apple trees to produce an apple. Dolgo is the first among my crabs

I agree! Seems like they know right where to throw branches out! An at just the right angle too! Liberty is the first of my apple trees to produce an apple. Dolgo is the first among my crabs

Liberty was also my first apple to produce and dolgo was first crab to produce lol

All good info, guys. Thanks for posting it. ^^^ Good pix too.