B118 liberty 4 leaf

I am a big Liberty fan. A must have for the deer orchard.

Very nice!

I really like Liberties too.
On a do over I sure wish I would have started with more liberties and a few of the other good DR tree varieties myself instead of some of the apples I put in. I was a couple years behind the curve.

@KickapooKid#1 is your Cortland seeming to be an aphid magnet like mine is? My Cortland is not in a wild life setting, its at my house for consumption/cooking/sauce (hasn't fruited yet) and it's on M7, may get some flowering this year finally. Awfully slow growing/fragile type tree in my opinion. I am probably in the minority but I love the taste of Cortland apples (from an orchard).

If this is the case, I join you in the minority. Cortland is damn fine.

@KickapooKid#1 is your Cortland seeming to be an aphid magnet like mine is? My Cortland is not in a wild life setting, its at my house for consumption/cooking/sauce (hasn't fruited yet) and it's on M7, may get some flowering this year finally. Awfully slow growing/fragile type tree in my opinion. I am probably in the minority but I love the taste of Cortland apples (from an orchard).
I don’t recall the Cortlands being to bad with aphids. I will pay attention to it in the future. They also seem to be on the moderate side for vigor. And the wood seems to be on the weaker side but nothing compared to a wealthy tree that I have that is the same age. It will be getting replaced this spring. That tree has been trouble for me. Weak wood, low vigor and very susceptible to cedar Apple rust and scab.

I too like Cortland. Do yourself a favor and grow a Macoun next to your house. Related to Cortland but better tasting. Tend to grow small, medium, and large (if thinned) on the same tree.
Here are some links to my Macouns.
- Pruning a Macoun on M111? or M106?
To see us picking this tree (@ 12.55 min) Search my Youtube channel for "Mid Season Harvest at Sandhill Orchards - 29Sept2017"
- Jon Clements @ AppleTesters.com
- Macoun in my front yard

Oh I'm aware of your Macoun fascination, I picked up on it quickly in your videos. Perhaps you can share some scion with a fellow Michiganian next year. :)

I think that Liberty's are close to a perfect wildlife apple. Good disease resistance, easy to maintain, dependable, early bearing tree. My Liberty's begin dropping apples in early/mid October and continue through late December or early January most years. In addition they are a good general purpose apple, great for pies and sauce. When planning my wildlife orchards, I was fortunate to include quite a few Liberty's, they have never disappointed.

I actually thinned more then half the fruit off the tree this past year. I kept about a dozen on it the try. I’m glad the critters didn’t get to them first which I was almost certain was going to happen. Maybe a bird peck on a few so I was happy.

Oh I'm aware of your Macoun fascination, I picked up on it quickly in your videos. Perhaps you can share some scion with a fellow Michiganian next year. :)
And I shall continue voicing my fascination with Macoun until someone agrees with me!

Well, fellow Michigander, I have scions collected of the following varieties, of which I can spare a few of each:
Cortland, Dayton, Golden Russet, Jonagold, Liberty, Macoun, Nova Easygro, Richelieu, Shizuka, Spigold.
Late hangers are Jonagold, Nova Easygro, Richelieu, and Shizuka.

I could send you what you want this year and you could store them on a tree or buy some rootstocks.
Let me know what you want. Next year I could get some other varieties. Some trees may be too young for scions.
Here's my list of varieties I grow. Some may be patented.

1. Blondee
  2. Braeburn
  3. CandyCrisp
  4. Cortland
  5. Redcort (Red Cortland)
  6. Crimson Gold
  7. Dayton
  8. Empire
  9. Fortune
  10. Fuji, Rising Sun
  11. Gala (large)
  12. Gala (Hilltop, Lidia’s, Stark Grand)
  13. Ginger Gold
  14. Golden Delicious
  15. Goldrush
  16. Golden Glory
  17. Golden Russet
  18. Golden Hornet
  19. Gravenstein (Red)
  20. Grimes Golden
  21. Honeycrisp
  22. Ida Red
  23. Marquis Idared
  24. Jonafree
  25. Jonagold
  26. Jonamac
  27. Jonathan
  28. King David
  29. Kingston Black
  30. Lady Jean
  31. Liberty
  32. Lodi
  33. Macoun
  34. Northfield Beauty
  35. NorthWoods Early (seedling)
  36. Nova Easygro
  37. Novamac
  38. Paula Red
  39. Redfree
  40. Red June
  41. Richelieu
  42. Rome, Spuree
  43. Ruby Darling
  44. Scarlet Surprise
  45. Scarlet Crush
  46. Shizuka
  47. Smoothee
  48. Snappy Mac
  49. Snow Sweet
  50. Snow (aka Fameuse)
  51. Spigold
  52. Suncrisp
  53. Sweet 16
  54. Turley Winesap
  55. Wealthy
  56. Whitney Crab
  57. Wolf River
  58. Zestar!
  59. RedMax (McIntosh sport)

email sent.

I like Cortlands too, but am not growing any. Macouns are great when fresh picked, but don't keep well for me. I buy some from an orchard near camp.

And I shall continue voicing my fascination with Macoun until someone agrees with me!

Well, fellow Michigander, I have scions collected of the following varieties, of which I can spare a few of each:
Cortland, Dayton, Golden Russet, Jonagold, Liberty, Macoun, Nova Easygro, Richelieu, Shizuka, Spigold.
Late hangers are Jonagold, Nova Easygro, Richelieu, and Shizuka.

I could send you what you want this year and you could store them on a tree or buy some rootstocks.
Let me know what you want. Next year I could get some other varieties. Some trees may be too young for scions.
Here's my list of varieties I grow. Some may be patented.

1. Blondee
  2. Braeburn
  3. CandyCrisp
  4. Cortland
  5. Redcort (Red Cortland)
  6. Crimson Gold
  7. Dayton
  8. Empire
  9. Fortune
  10. Fuji, Rising Sun
  11. Gala (large)
  12. Gala (Hilltop, Lidia’s, Stark Grand)
  13. Ginger Gold
  14. Golden Delicious
  15. Goldrush
  16. Golden Glory
  17. Golden Russet
  18. Golden Hornet
  19. Gravenstein (Red)
  20. Grimes Golden
  21. Honeycrisp
  22. Ida Red
  23. Marquis Idared
  24. Jonafree
  25. Jonagold
  26. Jonamac
  27. Jonathan
  28. King David
  29. Kingston Black
  30. Lady Jean
  31. Liberty
  32. Lodi
  33. Macoun
  34. Northfield Beauty
  35. NorthWoods Early (seedling)
  36. Nova Easygro
  37. Novamac
  38. Paula Red
  39. Redfree
  40. Red June
  41. Richelieu
  42. Rome, Spuree
  43. Ruby Darling
  44. Scarlet Surprise
  45. Scarlet Crush
  46. Shizuka
  47. Smoothee
  48. Snappy Mac
  49. Snow Sweet
  50. Snow (aka Fameuse)
  51. Spigold
  52. Suncrisp
  53. Sweet 16
  54. Turley Winesap
  55. Wealthy
  56. Whitney Crab
  57. Wolf River
  58. Zestar!
  59. RedMax (McIntosh sport)
Prof Kent, how old is your crimson gold? Any pics of it?

Impressive list, Prof. Kent. I like your videos as well.

It's great to see someone promoting Macoun so much. After I read about various apples, I became enamored with Macoun. I'm planning to graft a few of them into my new Orchard. It seems like a great all-around apple. I actually want something that will drop and feed the creatures when I'm not there to pick them.

Ontario bow season starts Oct. 1, and I would like to have apples on the ground luring them in. And I want a tasty apple to pick when I am there.

I like Cortlands too, but am not growing any. Macouns are great when fresh picked, but don't keep well for me. I buy some from an orchard near camp.
My Macouns usually don't keep well either, but this year they kept for a couple months in our root cellar. I don't know why. They do get softer though, and I like a crisp apple, so I like to eat them soon after picking. this year I will store a few of the largest/best and make cider of the rest.

My Macouns usually don't keep well either, but this year they kept for a couple months in our root cellar. I don't know why. They do get softer though, and I like a crisp apple, so I like to eat them soon after picking. this year I will store a few of the largest/best and make cider of the rest.

Root cellar....This would be a great topic for a new thread. Anyone have plans/photos/tips on building one??

Root cellar....This would be a great topic for a new thread. Anyone have plans/photos/tips on building one??

Very common in Norway. You can find "potato houses" all over the countryside, usually built into a hill. You can even buy them pre-fab now.

My uncle in Ohio has one made of cinder blocks.

How big do you want it? How much do you want to spend?

Here's an ad for prefab root cellars:
https://www.finn.no/bap/webstore/ad.html?finnkode=35073480
It's about $4500, so it would be much cheaper in the US, I assume.

Last edited: