Arkansas Beauty

Guy Ames gave me the USDA link I needed and I've talked with them. I'm waiting on a response from England now so I can fill out the permit request.
At the very least I'm persistent lol!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I applaud your efforts to preserve a living legacy of all the apples that have originated in Arkansas, that is really cool undertaking. Keep up the great work Merle.

You probably know this but it will be a while before you can have it. It can take years for the USDA to get through the virus testing and clear it for release.

You probably know this but it will be a while before you can have it. It can take years for the USDA to get through the virus testing and clear it for release.
Yes, I was pretty sure it would take a while. All the more important to get the ball rolling. I don't want to find myself extinct when it's finally available!

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

We're one step closer to getting Collins on the farm. Kevin was able to get it imported last spring and it's going through quarantine in Maryland now.
91f3467e0c7b8442faa01015042d876b.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

If you get it released and you need a "volunteer location" to grow extra/backup copies of that variety I know a guy in PA who always has room for a few more grafts......!!!

If you get it released and you need a "volunteer location" to grow extra/backup copies of that variety I know a guy in PA who always has room for a few more grafts......!!!
You are definitely on the list!
While I'm on odd apples btw, these are from a lady in AZ on NAFEX who sent summer budwood to Chuck at my request last month.
They're from an extremely large blossomed mystery tree in a 100+ year old orchard.
They genetically checked the trees and this one came back without a match.
I'm going to see how well it matches Arkansas Globe when it fruits.
I wish they would have waited till spring to break, but apparently there's no reasoning with an apple bud.

7db3509021830006e346313daff1c3e4.jpg
7cddd949d851fd16c9f57af98aaa97c1.jpg

Scott, did you graft (maybe an Arkansas Globe)?

Scott, did you graft (maybe an Arkansas Globe)?
I have another very nice mystery tree at least. Once it fruits, it is on a standard sized rootstock so it will be a bit, I'll have a better idea if it is even a possibility.
The part about no known DNA match and extra large blossoms give me hope.

I did receive an email from APIS stating Collins had a virus and that they had treated it this year.
It is apparently common in apple varieties imported from the UK, but they've had good luck treating for it.
47d2d3958ab8c02db0172f6ebec26872.jpg