All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arkansas Beauty

Neahawg

5 year old buck +
It's possible Arkansas Beauty which was previously thought to extinct has been rediscovered and I've been able to possibly get scions from the two trees thought be Arkansas Beauty. Merle may also have a lead on Tull which is thought to be extinct. So fingers crossed these work out for us. Here are pics of the apples I received.

1cc6c24e205df8a56f2d83863e6d50d9.jpg

40d72454a2f43ca40fdcbdd68a40fba0.jpg

I have been trying to get all varieties from originating in Arkansas if these grafts take this year I'll only have Collins left that I can't find.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

How's disease resistance?

Couldn't tell you as it is thought to be extinct. Ill graft it this year and know over the next few years. Im hopeful it has to be somewhat resistant as the abandoned orchard it was found in Washington was planted in the late 1800s.

That's pretty neat and you think you could get scions?

I may have no guarantee yet. If I do I'd be able to trade offer a few next year and more the year after that.

That works all I have this year would be ayers pear anyways

If it's something you may be interested in I'll keep you in mind.

We're always looking. I've sent texts to the u of ark and have tried to get the statewide paper to do an article on old varieties from the state that may still be around.
Ours is a wildlife orchard, but I'm having a little fun with it and trying to save a few obscure apples at the same time.

Thats fantastic guys, very happy for you!

Great job Gentlemen !!! Remote handshake !!

Good luck neahawg!! I hope you are successful for you and for the fact maybe we can get some scion in the future! As a fellow Arkansan I love what you are doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice find! Will be interesting to follow along with the progress.

The Collins an early apple in June?

No Collins is a late apple, resembles Ben Davis but smaller fruit

The Collins an early apple in June?
Also know as Coss' Champion.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Have y'all got in contact with Herb Childers? I don't know if he would have it but he might.

I've found Collins! Trouble is its in the National Fruit Collection in England. I've sent an email asking just how I go about getting scion wood from them. May take a while, but I'll get it.
Screenshot_2017-09-24-23-22-32.png

Ohhh Merle, you've got this grafting addiction bad. Real bad. :emoji_grinning::emoji_grinning::emoji_thumbsup: