Apples after a hard freeze

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
Are apples good to eat after a couple hard freezes?

Typically most will get mushy if they are allowed to freeze. Some of the thicker skinned, denser apples might be able to handle some sub freezing temps. I am currently testing that theory.

The last couple mornings have been 17 Sunday morning, and 12 this morning. I don’t think it got above freezing the past couple days, so I assume they are frozen solid right now.

For folks who make small batches of cider without a macerator or crusher, you can freeze apples to make them soft, thaw them and press them.

Here's an article that tells a bit,

Picked a couple Arkansas Black and Goldrush today that hung through some temps that got down to 25 degrees for a few nights. Both were still edible, but definitely could notice that they had both lost a little crunch. They were not mushy though.

Enterprise the same way. Lost some crunch but not mushy at all. Honeygold is almost too soft right now for my taste. That is in zone 4b

Question about Goldrush:

Will it ripen in storage after harvest? That is to say, does it improve in flavor while retaining its texture?

I know some late apples can be harvested before a freeze, rather than letting them fully ripen or go bad on the tree.

Question about Goldrush:

Will it ripen in storage after harvest? That is to say, does it improve in flavor while retaining its texture?

I know some late apples can be harvested before a freeze, rather than letting them fully ripen or go bad on the tree.
I do not know, we never have enough to last that long. LOL We need to plant more permanent trees strictly for personal consumption.

Question about Goldrush:

I've kept Goldrush in our unheated garage over the winter. The flavor when fresh-picked is a bit more tangy, and as time goes by, they get sweeter, IME. They lose some "tang" it seems - but still a great eating apple all winter. Good sauce addition too.

Awesome! Thanks.