apple tree

UP Powers

5 year old buck +
Well.. after years of waiting. Spraying and spraying. I can honestly say I have apple trees!!!! I was told by many of you that the apple tree root stock of antokova (sp?) and 5/6 leafs I have an abundance of apples. And some pretty big trees!!! I was beginning to lose hope but I saw an over abundance of blossoms this year. Baaa Baaaam. There are apples upon apples. The one that tickles me the most.. is the one that I thought I lost to girdling by voles. It's doing great!! The tree healed itself. I have one that is a Northwest Greening the trunk has to be 9 inches in diameter or more. That tree is LOADED! I have another set of trees that I feel by next year this will be the same case. I have been on a pretty consistent spray program. I have been using the bonide apple tree spray along with Eagle fungicide. I have been really good about keeping the floor clean and having the trees thinned so a bird could fly in them. It's working!!! I am pretty happy.

Fantastic man, congrats! How bout some pics?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have just gave me a shot of hope that my 4 year old pears on antonovka will put out fruit one day.

Bueller reaches for the light, badger undercuts w/ a right hook. LOL

Good to hear you held on and it's paid off !! My experience with Antonovka is that the first 2 years the root system is building underground. Then in year 3 things start to take off. Our oldest " newer " trees are 4 years in the ground and they are doing great. Buckle up and get ready for good crops - late frosts being the least controllable problem. Patience has paid you well.

How many years ago did you plant them? I am going on 5th leaf next year and I fear I am still a long ways away.

Thats awesome! Is that in Upper Michigan? I have some apple trees in NW Wisconsin, a couple are on year 4, 4 are on year 2, and 4 I planted this year. Last year they were packed with blossoms, this year I think they froze before they blossomed, because I havent even seen a blossom on any of the trees. All of them except the ones I planted this year are 15 feet high, or so, the ones I planted this year are 10+ feet tall. These were 6 foot plus, and 7/8" around when I planted them. I am hoping for apples soon.

One problem, and I plan on starting, is I havent ever sprayed them, I try to keep the weeds out of them, but the weeds, well grow like weeds! I havent ever trimmed them either, mostly because I dont know what I am doing, and I am afraid I will do more damage then good.

I also have a lot of bears in the area, so once they do produce, I will need to figure out how to protect them from the bears.

I have one that has 2 leaders growing about equal. I know it wasnt right, but they are about 12 feet tall, and each leader is about 6 feet. Is it to late to cut one? As in for the tree, not the time of year, I will wait until it is dormant, or early spring.

Chummer - 4 years ago. They'll be 5th leaf next year. They were planted as whips. They're about 11 to 12 ft. tall now and well branched. Some have a few fruit - some haven't yet. I put some 15-15-15 under the weed mats in the spring and make a circle of compost around the trees' cages each spring too. Everybody's soil is different, but that has worked for me. Compost never hurts.

hey.. sorry.. been super busy. Travel schedule is getting crazy. The trees are way over 10 feet, I think. I think some of them are 6 years old?? maybe 5? I had issues at first with not spraying and keeping a dirty floor. I had a "expert" come out that was suggested here and he said. My trees were unhealthy. He said, the cleaner the floor, keep the spraying simple, and just spray often. Set the spray to a MIST and don't go crazy! I use the bonide fruit tree and Eagle fungicide. I don't think I have any fungus or any sick looking leaves like I had in the past. I honestly don't care if the appearance of the apples are pristine, I cared ONLY about tree health. Frank, the expert also told me to don't be bashful when you prune. Whack em back, so a bird can fly in it. I said, a lot of guys stake em. He said with the root stock I have, once they get established, nothing is going to knock it over. :) I bought them all from the local county extension.

I will try and get some pics..