Apple pest question

Charman03

5 year old buck +
I have some trees around the 5 yr mark now and a few of them start off with a lot of apples but it seems like some kind of insect hits the apples really early when they are starting to grow and by the time the apples should ripen there aren’t any left on the tree, and most are gone long before that.

Any idea on what is getting these apples? I’m definitely going to have to spray early and often if I want apples

That's the fly in the ointment with fruit trees. There aren't any "insect-resistant/insect-proof" trees. Diseases can be genetically addressed - but not so bugs.

From all the info I've read and digested over the last 10 years, dormant season oil sprays can kill many overwintering bug eggs before they can even hatch. But to tackle emerged bugs, insecticide sprays are necessary. I've used Sevin spray to good results - but it can act as a crop thinner depending on the timing of your sprays. Imidan is used by many, but I believe it's now only available to licensed users. (someone can validate this??) I'm not up to date with sprays used by commercial orchards - maybe someone can chime in that knows what they use.

The most common bugs to hit apples - in Pa. - are codling moth, plum curculio, apple maggot, and apple sawfly. Several types of aphids and mites can damage the foliage of the trees, weakening them. I bought the Penn State guide - "Fruit Production for the Home Gardener" for about $12 from PSU. It has lots of info on all kinds of fruit and the care they need. Diseases and insect pests are covered. The guide is about 3/4" thick, and has charts, diagrams, and illustrations (great illustrations on pruning and various cuts to shape a tree).

Plum curculio causes a lot of dropped apples

Keep in mind that insecticides don't just kill the pest insects, they kill the beneficial ones as well. Of course, what's the point of having beneficial insects if you have no apples?

The long term solution is to improve tree and soil health. The healthier your trees are, the more successful they are in fighting off insects on your own.

Here are a couple articles to further explain

I only worry over younger trees when it comes to insects. Once they grow to 12 feet or so and have good branching / canopy - I don't spray them anymore, unless there's a serious outbreak of Japs or gypsies. I watch and spray regularly the first few years so the young trees have time to establish a good root system and start growing well. After about 6th or 7th leaf, I quit regular spraying. Trees are for wildlife - not commercial sale of apples.

Imidan is not restricted use as of 2021 , they changed the rules on shipping can no longer go by delivery services , some places can and will still ship some not

Imidan is not restricted use as of 2021 , they changed the rules on shipping can no longer go by delivery services , some places can and will still ship some not
Thanks Wooduck, for this info!! I thought I read an article or post by someone that said Imidan had become restricted to licensed applicators. I didn't know it was about shipping restrictions / rules.