Am I too late for sugar beets?

tbarile

5 year old buck +
I was hoping to plant straight sugar beets in a plot that was a brassica mix last year. I live in northern Indiana. Am I too late? I would still need to mow, spray, disc. So probably 3 weeks out from being able to plant. Thabns

I dint think so.

NO

I was under the impression that sugar beets should be planted about the same time as corn??

If so it may be pushing it. But that’s based on what I’ve heard not real experience.

I was under the impression that sugar beets should be planted about the same time as corn??

If so it may be pushing it. But that’s based on what I’ve heard not real experience.

They do recommend planting in early June to get the best "crop" possible with sugar beets. But being most of us arent out there to harvest them, and only planting for wildlife, it will be ok. I planted sugar beets as late as July 10th, and I had a decent crop of them. They also say to not have any competition and to make sure it is weed free, but I planted them in a mixture on July 10th of radish and turnips and had a decent crop of sugar beets with them. I am sure they would have been bigger if they were planted earlier, and with no competition, but the deer didnt care at all!

I get them to football size when planting within a few days of June 1st.

I get them to football size when planting within a few days of June 1st.
When I planted them on July 10th, they were baseball to softball size for the most part.