All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I the only one that loves a snow storm?

John-W-WI

Administrator
Our winter started out pretty simple. Some cold, but very little snow. Then came the month of February. If we haven't broken the record we are close. We've received over 30 inches in February alone. Am I the only one that loves it? I can't say why, because I have plenty of plowing and shoveling to do when we get snow. But for some reason I really do enjoy it. I plowed the driveway today. An hour later it was drifting back in:

IMG_20190224_150927.jpg

I guess I get to plow again tomorrow!

-John

Ahh, this is just practicing for April! Yeah, last April got belted with 30" snow in one storm and had multiple others. The snow covered roads every couple days is getting a little old this month though. Not that it snows that often but seems we get snow, they clean it up and then we get wind a few days later and make drifts from all the open fields getting blown around. Several days going to work has been worst travel a day or two after storms cause they don't plow/salt/gravel as diligent when not actually snowing but man, the wind frequency has just as bad as the snow

Edit: I put about 500 miles on a week so plenty of road time and slower travel making me a little ready for spring. But ok only Feb, but if this stuff is still going on into mid March, gonna get a little grumpy. Will say that has been good snowshoeing weather to get out when wind is less.

Last edited:
I'm sick of it. Deer where I hunt are getting slaughtered by the wolves and I only got my fish house out 3 times all year cause of all the damn snow. Friend of my sent me some pictures from Eel Pout Festival in Walker. Guess it was a real mess.

IMG_4010.JPGIMG_4011.JPG

DSC01036 (Large).JPG

Buck,
Hear Green Bay ice fishing has been similar. All the weight of the snow has pushed down on the ice and where you get cracks water seeps up everywhere making a slushy mess!

We may get to enjoy it a while longer. The March 2019 temperature outlook map from the National Weather Service looks really ugly.

Attachments

• March 2019 Temperature Outlook.jpg
    March 2019 Temperature Outlook.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 24
I love a snow storm too John. I love plowing and snow blowing. I love tracking deer in snow. My family enjoys downhill and cross country skiing. I love everything about it. Last year we got 3 major Nor'easters in March alone. That was a bit extreme, but it made for some unbelievable spring skiing in the backcountry.

I really love it. I can sit here in South Carolina and watch it on TV all day. :)

I absolutely love them, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact they're few and far between.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I like the first one or two....after that I'm ready for spring. I don't like the deep snow it's too hard on everything and it makes the deer go after my pines.

Schools around me have been closed more this month then they have been open.

One sure, but its getting out of hand, just got to work, took twice as long (45min) an about got stuck in 4x4 busting drifts on the paved county roads. Plows cant stay ahead.

Plows stopped running at dark last night. 20-30 mph winds all night long, so my wife had to call in to work. A truck got stuck trying to bust through drifts on our county road about 7:00. Two more trucks showed up and took about a half hour to get him out. Now the plow's been through. I'm ready for spring, but the forecast says 3 more inches both Tuesday and Friday.

A good snow storm with the wood stove cranking is one of my favorite ways to spend a day. With that being said I don't like to spend too many of those days in any one winter. I am ready for spring at this point though.

We may get to enjoy it a while longer. The March 2019 temperature outlook map from the National Weather Service looks really ugly.
Oh crap !

Nope...."F" THAT! I'll stay here in IN where we get like 18" ~ 24" of snow annually thank you very much!

Looks like Trump fixed global warming too! MACA (Make America Cold Again)

I didn't mind it when I was young----now it's just a lot of extra work that I really don't have time for.

Our winter started out pretty simple. Some cold, but very little snow. Then came the month of February. If we haven't broken the record we are close. We've received over 30 inches in February alone. Am I the only one that loves it? I can't say why, because I have plenty of plowing and shoveling to do when we get snow. But for some reason I really do enjoy it. I plowed the driveway today. An hour later it was drifting back in:

View attachment 22964

I guess I get to plow again tomorrow!

-John

The record for snow in any one month was 35.3 inches in January 1929 in Eau Claire, Wi.
The most snow in February was 28.2 inches in 1932.
We currently have had 46.8 inches in the month of February... and they are calling for at least another 2 to 6 inches by Thursday night.
To this point in the winter we average 35 inches and we have recieved 70.2 inches.

To this point in the winter we average 35 inches and we have recieved 70.2 inches.

So this winter is twice as good as most :emoji_unamused:

I hate what it must be doing to our deer though.

-John