Massachusetts Shotgun Opener - Saw a TON of Deere

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
John Deere, that is. I started deer hunting in 1987 when I was 17, and have only missed a single opening day since then when I was in Desert Storm in 1990. Well, I missed my second opening morning yesterday. The snow started Sunday around 3 PM or so and Monday morning we were in blizzard conditions with about 16 inches of new heavy powder. It never let up and by Tuesday AM we had about 25" on the ground. Just brutal. So, no hunting yesterday, but I did get a whole bunch of seat time on the JD 990. Deere season indeed!

IMG-0957.JPG

That is some snow! Now tell me about that blade on that 990. What kind of adjustments does it have?

If it doesn’t get crunchy you may be able to do some of stalk hunting you like later in the week.

When you decide it is too crappy to be out hunting, the deer are probably ahead of you in that thought process :emoji_wink:

That is some snow! Now tell me about that blade on that 990. What kind of adjustments does it have?

It's made by Frontier and tilts up and down with the tractor's hydraulics. The left and right swing is manual, but they do make versions which are 100% hydraulic. I have to get off and pull a few pins and adjust the swing by hand. Kind of a pain in the arse, but doable. I like having both a plow and a blower, but I think down the road I'd like to find a tractor with a front mount blower...and a cab...and a heated coffee mug holder...and maybe a 30 acre chunk of land in South Carolina.

If it doesn’t get crunchy you may be able to do some of stalk hunting you like later in the week.

Indeed Bill. I was all set to get after them Monday, but I knew I would have been the only one out and the deer would be bedded down. Should be good tracking as the snow packs down a bit and we get some more light fresh snow.

Natty where ya located?

This snow has been a kicker 21 inches in here in Belchertown :(
Shutesbury got 24 inches !

Natty - We dodged the bullet here in eastern Pa. that hit you dead on. New England winters!! You folks there know that drill. Stay safe!!

Tracking snow for sure. Good food sources will be a magnet, especially where the sun warms things. Caught a few bucks in such locations over the years, lunching in the sun. Good luck as you can get out, and keep us posted!!

Natty where ya located?

This snow has been a kicker 21 inches in here in Belchertown :(
Shutesbury got 24 inches !

I'm over in a little hill town called Savoy....just 20 minutes outside of Pittsfield. We are at 2,000 on a cold spruce and fir swampy plateau. The snow is starting to pack down now. Time to get out and track them down Benoit style!

Natty - We dodged the bullet here in eastern Pa. that hit you dead on. New England winters!! You folks there know that drill. Stay safe!!

Tracking snow for sure. Good food sources will be a magnet, especially where the sun warms things. Caught a few bucks in such locations over the years, lunching in the sun. Good luck as you can get out, and keep us posted!!

Thanks bowsnbucks! Good to hear from you. Yes, it sounds like we are going to pick up some new snow today and Friday. Should have a few fresh inches come Saturday morning. Could be perfect for getting out and getting on a track.

Good luck on the track, pal!!