Alaskan Mill

mtholton

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have any experience with one? I had to take down a nice Cherry tree and would like to make a mantel.. Figured it was a good enough reason to justify a new toy that I don't really need... Just curious what the learning curve is like? Any brand/model preferences? Do you need the rails, or can you just use boards.

A friend of mine has one. It's a lot of work and a lot of waste in the kerf. If you have ever sawn a tree with the grain you know what I mean. You'll need a saw cable of powering a bar long enough to make the cut. You won't end up with lumber resembling that cut on an actual sawmill but it has it's own beauty I guess. More prone to splitting and cracking. Lots of time.
As far as a learning curve there isn't much to it. If your just looking for a mantle see if there is a portable mill in your area. You may be able to trade service for the remainder of lumber. Way WAY faster and easier. If you just want another toy go for it.
I'm not sure what you mean by rails and or just boards.

I bought one a few years ago to try making my own beams for a timber frame project. I had the Granberg Mini Mill. You'll need to buy special ripping chain for your saw which can be fairly expensive. Fairly straightforward to use. Mine came with small metal rail pieces that mounted to a 2x6. You then level that 2x6 on the tree for your first cut. Once you make that first cut, you then just screw down the 2x6 to that flat side for your second cut and so on. You'll need a beefy chainsaw. For what you're doing I'd say go for it and have some fun.