All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Age a deer please....

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I thought all summer this deer was 3 but not as sure now. Thoughts? First two pics are most recent.

I agree on 3.

3.45 ;)

Id say 3 Steve

You can just tell he has a lot more bone to add to that frame, regardless of exact age. Will be a real nice one next year, and a stud in 2.
In central wi that buck gets shot on 90% of properties. Buffalo county that buck gets passed 50% of the time. In my Iowa spot that buck has a 90% chance making it another year.
Getting a healthy population of those bucks to another year is getting into some awesome hunting. Getting 2 more years on bucks like that is world class hunting!

Thanks everyone. I had felt 3 all along, but always good to get other opinions. He gets a pass from us this year and hopefully dodges the neighbors.

In my area and north I'd call him a 2 year old based on neck girth. In the last pic his gut says 3. Southern deer throw me.

Regardless the opinions above are right on. He has got some serious potential if he gets to 5.5.

If you would have just shot him last year, you would be so undecided about age this year. Lol

Hope he makes it, he could be a good one for sure.

I agree w/ 3. Having that 2 broke off makes it easier to pass him.