A cure for CWD?

Taken off off Deer and Deer Hunting Website

Final Thoughts on CWD
According to a published report by the Denver Post, Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment officials (who have dealt with CWD for 52 years) only advises hunters who kill deer and elk from herds where 5 percent or more of males are infected to have animal carcasses tested. Remember, Colorado is ground-zero for CWD — having discovered the disease in a native mule deer that was later placed in an enclosure and subjected to Frankenstein-like tests. Despite having the disease in deer and elk for more than five decades, officials report infection rates of 16 percent or less in pockets across the state.
For those who are worried about CWD threatening the economic impact of deer hunting in their respective states:
Colorado has been dealing with CWD for 52 years, yet the state’s economic impact from deer and elk hunting in 2019 will still exceed $1 billion. In Larimer County alone, the economic impact is $38 million annually. Colorado’s Parks & Wildlife Department advises hunters to have their deer tested only if the deer is taken from an area with an infection rate of 5 percent or higher.
All other states combined, despite having tested more than 1 million animals, are showing a national incidence level of 0.4 percent.
Should we advocate for more CWD research? Absolutely. But the fake-news “zombie apocalypse” must stop. People, please. We need to jump off this hamster wheel of fear mongering. Now.

Just announced that TN is up to 183 cases this year. 182 were in the 2 counties just east of Memphis. Good place to do some sharp-shooting. I wonder if odds are better that next year's batch shows up on the outskirts of Nashville or in the middle of the sticks. Going to be more gov't snipers than nurses in America before long.

IF? this is true and we all hope it is. And IF? an oral vaccine could be available in a couple years. Then here is the beautiful thing. The best way to administer an oral vaccine is likely to be thru a supplemental feeding program.Protein pellets with the vaccine blended in. Fringe benefits include bigger healthier deer. And who knows maybe the govt will offer cost shares. Gotta be optimistic

Sick deer will likely be killed by a car or coyote due to loss of brain function, long before they are wasted away and drooling. If you saw 10 sick wild deer standing together infecting the landscape, you would be 20 years too late.

You’re probably right about them not being seen due other causes of death.
I’m still not in the cull camp. I may end up on the wrong side of history but I just don’t see how sharpshooters are the cure. Two deer in two square miles are going to find each other and share a licking branch. Their just social creatures.

Common sense say you would have to kill “All” the deer in an infected area and keep new ones from returning.

Just announced that TN is up to 183 cases this year. 182 were in the 2 counties just east of Memphis. Good place to do some sharp-shooting. I wonder if odds are better that next year's batch shows up on the outskirts of Nashville or in the middle of the sticks. Going to be more gov't snipers than nurses in America before long.

Don’t go talking about things you don’t know. Those counties are very rural/agricultural. And unlike some state agencies, TN Wildlife Resources Agency gets nothing from the general fund, so there’s no imaginary money about to fall out of the clouds.

What do they have to gain from this? Heck if I know, but there’s plenty at stake.

Never mind the fact that there’s a couple high fences down there.

I won’t stop you from bashing your state agency because I don’t know that situation but I do know mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Culling in areas that are new infections, is absolutely the best thing they can do. Why not buy some time and prevent it from spreading like wildfire. I have come to terms that I would rather have very low deer densities than a million sick deer in the state. Maybe some miracle cure will show up but I'm not counting on it.

Really? Where has it ever worked?

Really? Where has it ever worked?

Well there was a positve wild deer outside of a farm in SE MN a few years back, culling seemed to eliminate it from that area. This would have to be done on a fairly tight timeline. This same effort should be done at the brainerd site. The other area of SE MN is probably too late as it wasn't pinpointed and not discovered soon enough. IMO it is only effective in new infection sites.

Although not CWD but we had a TB outbreak in NWMN maybe 6 years ago. It was the same culling effort with sharpshooters, very effective and eliminated the disease. Short term pain but long term gains.

Mick, with all due respect, what's your point? You don't want people talking about things they don't know. These CWD threads show that no one knows anything of substance about it! Hell Baker doesn't even know. All I can relay is what I see here, and granted, IL is as crooked and wasteful as they come, but I assure you, your agencies are watching others. Am I correct in assuming you want the sharp-shooting? You did reiterate my comment from earlier in the thread that there's a lot at stake, so at least we both know that.

My point is you’ve come on here implying that the TWRA biologists and officers, many that I know well and respect, are falsifying CWD test results or intentionally introducing it to the herd as part of some grand interstate conspiracy to defraud sportsmen across the country of license dollars.

If you think that’s what’s going on in your world, I won’t debate that with you, but that’s not what’s happening in Tennessee.

Tennessee found 183 in the first year- that’s pretty much unprecedented. The vast majority were found in a pretty small area in SW Tennessee. Nothing down there but farms, swamps, and high dollar hunt clubs and one of the best trophy areas and highest harvest counties of the state.

Hunters are saying things haven’t been right down there for 4-5 years, with almost no bucks older than 3.5 on camera anymore on properties where hunters aren’t killing deer less than 4.5, and sightings down across the board as well. These discussions were going on prior to CWD being found in mid December- where have the mature bucks, and deer in general, gone if this is a hoax?

As far as culling is concerned, I think we are too far gone to hang our hat on in our current situation.

My point is you’ve come on here implying that the TWRA biologists and officers, many that I know well and respect, are falsifying CWD test results or intentionally introducing it to the herd as part of some grand interstate conspiracy to defraud sportsmen across the country of license dollars.

If you think that’s what’s going on in your world, I won’t debate that with you, but that’s not what’s happening in Tennessee.

Tennessee found 183 in the first year- that’s pretty much unprecedented. The vast majority were found in a pretty small area in SW Tennessee. Nothing down there but farms, swamps, and high dollar hunt clubs and one of the best trophy areas and highest harvest counties of the state.

Hunters are saying things haven’t been right down there for 4-5 years, with almost no bucks older than 3.5 on camera anymore on properties where hunters aren’t killing deer less than 4.5, and sightings down across the board as well. These discussions were going on prior to CWD being found in mid December- where have the mature bucks, and deer in general, gone if this is a hoax?

As far as culling is concerned, I think we are too far gone to hang our hat on in our current situation.

So they found 183 the first year, whats your point? None of us can say it would have been higher or lower if it was tested 20 years ago. As mentioned very little is know about CWD

IMO You basically told everyone on here why the big buck are gone. "Nothing down there but farms, swamps, and high dollar hunt clubs and one of the best trophy areas and highest harvest counties of the state." Word got out and the area got shot out. It has happened to all of the big buck producing ares.

[QUOTE=" best trophy areas and highest harvest counties of the state." [/QUOTE]
Every time I see when this type of description...I think Could it be that theses hunt clubs have been buying deer to introduce new/larger antler genetics?

Mick, to familiarize myself with TN's situation a little, I've been watching the press conference that happened on 1/8/19 in Bolivar. First, the speakers all sound very nice and sincere, can't deny that. I'm at 47 minutes into the presentation, and just wanted to point out the question was asked about which state is leading the way on stopping prevalence and spread rates. The state wildlife vet wastes no time in saying that IL is strongly considered the best. (I knew we could be best in the nation at something besides having governors who make license plates, and rates of citizens fleeing the state!) Then he mentions our use of sharp-shooters. It's the 1st time it's been mentioned in 47 minutes, although they're careful to use lots of language such as "long-range planning" and "taking action". I'd say that's what's ahead for you. Not sure how close you are to these hot-zones, but I predict a wrath of culling in the future. Your state's terrain is different than ours around here. Maybe you can absorb the culling much better than N. IL. My creek bottom still has a few deer, but they've been chipping away at it from each end for I think 6 years now. Other places in the county have reported seeing virtually no deer anymore. Our neighbor, Dekalb Co, was a few years ahead of us. I have a business associate, who owns land and farms there, who said he stopped hunting his county altogether. His words were "no deer."

Right or wrong, just telling you what I see. It was weird, when my dad and I checked in two very large, healthy "looking" does in December of '17, the biologist asked if we were ok with them being sampled. I said yes, and pointed on the map to the spot where our farm is, and said that I hoped they were healthy. The biologist looked up at me and winked, saying "oh I think you have nothing to worry about." Now what did that mean?? Maybe he's just socially awkward. Like I said, none of us know how this will all play out in the end. All I have is anecdotes. I don't think it's all a hoax, but generally speaking, I don't trust government to do what's right.

Last edited:
I struggle with the idea of killing deer to keep them from dying . IF? the cause of CWD is a prion AND it never goes away AND is in the soil forever AND if it is spread by deer mingling and spreading the disease thru contact then how does culling [ killing ] the herd help? Unless you kill them all and never allow deer to return to the area??

After the killing the soil is still contaminated right? Deer are always going to mingle irrespective of density , right? So what is accomplished by sharpshooters?

Mick, to familiarize myself with TN's situation a little, I've been watching the press conference that happened on 1/8/19 in Bolivar. First, the speakers all sound very nice and sincere, can't deny that. I'm at 47 minutes into the presentation, and just wanted to point out the question was asked about which state is leading the way on stopping prevalence and spread rates. The state wildlife vet wastes no time in saying that IL is strongly considered the best. (I knew we could be best in the nation at something besides having governors who make license plates, and rates of citizens fleeing the state!) Then he mentions our use of sharp-shooters. It's the 1st time it's been mentioned in 47 minutes, although they're careful to use lots of language such as "long-range planning" and "taking action". I'd say that' what's ahead for you. Not sure how close you are to these hot-zones, but I predict a wrath of culling in the future. Your state's terrain is different than ours around here. Maybe you can adsorb the culling much better than N. IL. My creek bottom still has a few deer, but they've been chipping away at it from each end for I think 6 years now. Other places in the county have reported seeing virtually no deer anymore. Our neighbor, Dekalb Co, was a few years ahead of us. I have a business associate, who owns land and farms there, who said he stopped hunting his county altogether. His words were "no deer."

Right or wrong, just telling you what I see. It was weird, when my dad and I checked in two very large, healthy "looking" does in December of '17, the biologist asked if we were ok with them being sampled. I said yes, and pointed on the map to the spot where our farm is, and said that I hoped they were healthy. The biologist looked up at me and winked, saying "oh I think you have nothing to worry about." Now what did that mean?? Maybe he's just socially awkward. Like I said, none of us know how this will all play out in the end. All I have is anecdotes. I don't think it's all a hoax, but generally speaking, I don't trust government to do what's right.

Sounds like a great success!

It's all a vicious circle of non-science. MO is culling with nearly half the counties in the state in "Containment zones." What are they trying to contain at this point? These containment zones aren't allowed to place mineral or feed. The containment zones have lost the antler point restrictions that were helping to build a better age structure. So the answer is wipe out the deer herd? Then what, the same "experts" say that the prions stay in the ground nearly forever. So do you just keep killing them forever? No minerals, but the "sharpshooters" pile corn and shoot every deer that "congregates unnaturally," as they like to say. It's hard to follow the logic...

Has anyone caught this article from D&DH a couple days ago? Apparently Texas A&M and the National Institute of Health already cracked this "crossing the species barrier" hoax, but this zombie deer story swarmed the country a few weeks ago anyway. I wonder who coordinated that?

Typical agenda science, numerous protocols were broken, and we had the "consensus of scoundrels" argument crammed down our throat as somehow "agreement" has a way of anointing unproven kookery into fact.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...xPWcdFtoQw1g2pt-9796hlYytPt1DFOg2c99C-2qNrZQE

but the "sharpshooters" pile corn and shoot every deer that "congregates unnaturally," as they like to say. It's hard to follow the logic...

There is no logic, so you shouldn't try to fine any there. It's just the government doing their typical "do what I say, not what I do" routine.

Has anyone caught this article from D&DH a couple days ago? Apparently Texas A&M and the National Institute of Health already cracked this "crossing the species barrier" hoax, but this zombie deer story swarmed the country a few weeks ago anyway. I wonder who coordinated that?

Typical agenda science, numerous protocols were broken, and we had the "consensus of scoundrels" argument crammed down our throat as somehow "agreement" has a way of anointing unproven kookery into fact.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...xPWcdFtoQw1g2pt-9796hlYytPt1DFOg2c99C-2qNrZQE

Interesting, I think that’s the article S.T. Was quoting but somehow the earlier link didn’t work. Seems they had to try really really hard to give it to a monkey in a lab. Also doesn’t seem likely to be repeatable in nature.

I am beginning to think this whole CWD thing is more about the insurance companies wanting the deer herds decimated. In PA, it looks like they are finally going to allow Sunday hunting. Not because the sportsmen/women want it but because the insurance companies have been lobbying for it hard the last couple years. Between their lobbying and campaign contributions, they carry a lot of weight behind the scenes. Years ago we saw a deer acting really weird in a field. We called the local game warden and he had the deer captured and tested. They told us later that it was some kind of brain worm that normally affects elk. Now that same symptom would be attributed to CWD. It's to the point that I don't believe anyone any more.

Thought I read a while back that they've been able to infect squirrel monkeys, but the Mac monkeys (much more closely related to humans) being wildly reported as infected turned out being junk science like SD said. Basically the NIH got their hands on the samples and used their much better testing methods. I guess part of me wishes squirrel monkeys hadn't become infected, but if it takes something like 28 million times the amount of exposure that could ever practically happen in the real world to accomplish it... well let's just say I'm still eating this year's untested button buck. Held out for a button buck to save a doe's life.