85 lbs of Rye and 25 lbs of Winter Wheat Picking up tomorrow

Steven Tolly

5 year old buck +
Ok I have plots we have talked about before 12 acres total 2 plots of beans 3 acres each (they look good, small pods, but still growing I hope) and 5.5 acres of Purple Top Turnips, Radish, Rape Seed Dwarf Essex in and Winfred Brassica in two plots.

I bought 85 lbs of Rye and 25 lbs of Winter Wheat and wondering when I should over seed it in the beans etc. I want to put it into the beans to help them have something green through the early season and I want to fill in the bare spots in the turnip, rape seed plots.

When should I plant it to make sure it is lush and green and gets good growth for the rest of the season.

Edit, My farm I hunt is in the middle of iowa.

I am really hoping it fills in our bean plots or the early season because they are our perimeter plots that we like to hunt early season oct ish.

Thanks for your help.

Steven

Last edited:
Where?

Sorry middle of Iowa.

Sept 15 or as soon as the beans yellow. I can never be exact when the beans will yellow and I plant when I can. In 10 years on the central border of IA Sept 15 has only failed me once. And it was because it didn't rain until the end of October.

I'd say you can add the seed starting next weekend or as soon as the beans are losing leaves. All the way thru Sept. I think you may want to use more pounds. Sounds like a lot of acres.

I know I should use more lbs, i was hoping to over seed the bare spots in the radish / turnip plots first and use whatever is left in the beans. IF it goes in early like next weekend will it hurt it or will it be past the green stage before october 1st?

Thanks guys.

I always plant my grains Labor Day weekend, with good success. 110# will only do about an acre...

I would wait till 2nd weekend of Sept in your area.

I would look at moving up to at least 50 # per acre of WR. You are looking at 7 lbs acre which doesn't really make sense. WR has so many benefits and is so inexpensive.

I know I need to plant more, but I am not trying to fill the plot only hit some of the light areas.

How much should i put down in the beans per acre?

How much to just go around the rape and radishes we drilled?

Thanks again

I would make a good plot of rye, even if only an acre. I'm afraid if you spread it that thin, it won't accomplish anything, anywhere. A good acre of cereal grain will feed a lot of deer.

I know I need to plant more, but I am not trying to fill the plot only hit some of the light areas.

How much should i put down in the beans per acre?

How much to just go around the rape and radishes we drilled?

Thanks again

Spread what you have on 1 - 1.5 acres ... around your best late season bow stands ... spreading on more acres is a waste of your time ... enjoy the hunt!

Already called the lady to get more. Just wish I would have got more to start because she happened to be in the area and delivered for free. Cost 14.00 per 56lb bag. I think what we are going to do is go fill in the holes in the turnip / rape / radish plot next weekend and then around sept 15 over seed the beans and the rest of the plots with a lot more. That way everything else gets a good start and the beans should be yellowing by then.

Thanks for all the information. I have plan. I am excited to see how it works.