All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8' Genesis no-till questions

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
Genesis offers two 8' drills; one weighing 2625lb and the HD model weighing 3803lb. I'm assuming primary determining factors like tractor size/hp, soil type, downforce needed for residue are key considerations but can anyone offer insight about which model might be preferred?

Genesis offers two 8' drills; one weighing 2625lb and the HD model weighing 3803lb. I'm assuming primary determining factors like tractor size/hp, soil type, downforce needed for residue are key considerations but can anyone offer insight about which model might be preferred?
I think both are plenty heavy. Unless you have a 90hp tractor I would get the lighter one. Will be 3k when full of seed. Plenty heavy.

I have the HD Genesis 5, and in hindsight would have bought the standard weight.

Go on…because?
Check out this post from a similar question…..

Post in thread 'Genesis 5'
https://habitat-talk.com/threads/genesis-5.13567/post-260028

In a nutshell - even if the steel framework of the light version was 1/2 the thickness of my HD version (and I assume framework thickness is the main difference between them), it would still be overbuilt from a functional and durability standpoint. Just no need to stress the tractor as much as the weight of HD version does.

^Thanks very much for the additional insight sir.

I have 2 tractors; a 65hp and a 120hp. Big tractor will definitely handle the HD; little tractor is right on the edge and I certainly appreciate points about the additional load stress. Having a unit both tractors will handle increases versatility especially in tight spots.