All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8" culvert?

wisconsinteacher

5 year old buck +
Is an 8" culvert 48" long big enough for a cultipacker build?

Cultipackers seem to be 75-100lbs per foot. 8inch 48 long cultipacker is 235lbs. about 60lbs /ft.

Probably not a bad ATV cultipacker. IF your soil is particuarly tough and will likely solely doing no till, the extra weight/ft of a 12" 3ft wide cultipacker might be better. My honda rancher has 42" tire width. If you follow the last tire path, the center would be rolled by the cultipacker . About 1/2 the tire divot would be run by the cultipacker, then the other half would be ran on the next lap.

There was a older thread about a cultipacker build. They mentioned to purchase single walled culvert pipe. Double wall, the inside is smooth and the outside corrguations get destroyed in short order.

10 inch 3.5ft culvert pipe would be 250lbs.

10' would be about 71.5 lbs/ft. I will be pulling it with an ATV. Not sure if I should by a 10" or 12" now? I plan on buying single wall.

A 5' x 12" it would be 522 pounds=104# per foot
A 5" x 10" would be 365 pounds=72# per foot.

Last edited:
Where are you going with this cultipacker? Easy farmland, or trucking through some rough woods. IF the traveling will be rough, you should go with less width and less weight.

Even a land roller filled with sand can be a pretty mean foodplottin tool.

Im tossing around between building a food plot seeder with 2 4 inch spiked rollers behind some disc and having a clover and grain box ontop. Plan B is a single cultipacker or roller with a detachable clover seed box. I have all the parts for the seeder. I have both 12 inch culvert pipe, and a 22" diameter steel tank. I have a old trailer axle I can rig up to make it a flip one. Either one I use will be 36" wide. The steel tank will be left empty, but have a good sized drain plug. Flip the roller, drive it in with water. If it's too much remove some water, or fill it when I get there. I have a 600 acre hunting lease with a 1/2 mile of road frontage. A snowmobile trail goes alongside the road, sometime 100 yards back an right next to the road in one spot. I got the 1/2 mile trail and 3 small 1/10 to 1/8th acre plots I seed. I have a log landing right by the road I can seed up this year too. If the snowmobile trails come out ok this summer without needing retilling, I got a 1/2 acre plot about 1/2 mile back in the woods. I got a decent path to it, but theres a rutted up section with a mud pit on the end. The emptyable feature of a roller might make or break that spot. Worse comes to worse, I have made plots with just the atv tires alone.

I sort of abandoned a portable cultipacker idea. I had about a dozen 8 inch tires. I was going to offset a front and rear set with a flat top frame I can add rocks ontop of it. I got a bunch of cultivator teeth I could put on the top. Flip it over and have a portable seedbed rippere / basic leveler.

As you drive around, just ride the next tire rut on the last, and the cultipacker will handle whats between the tires.

@Derek Reese 29 built one and used it last year. I can't remember the thread it was under. I'm in the process of building one. I think mine was 14 or 16" diameter and about 3 feet wide. I cut the culvert into 3 sections to be easier to maneuver/take apart.

I'm planning on using it for no-til plot that is 1 acre. The cultipacker will not leave the plot once it is delivered.

I'm planning on using it for no-til plot that is 1 acre. The cultipacker will not leave the plot once it is delivered.
Id go bigger then. 12" If your tires are aggressive, do the 4ft. If the ATV has pretty mild tires Keep it 42" then. When your done for the year, wipe down the metal with some used motor oil and it should be good for a long time.

What are you planning to use for a shaft and bearings? Also, some folks put a piece of shaped metal to clean the mud off the corrugations.

I have a Honda 500 Rubicon with factory tires. The plot has a slight slope to it but not huge. Do you think a 12" x 5' cultipacker is too big? My calculations is it would weigh around 600 lbs max.

My brother in law bought the shaft and bearings so I'm not sure what they are. He said he bought big enough ones for the weight.

My general impression with seeing other folks use cultipackers on atv/utv's is you usually see a 4ft one on an atv and a 5ft one on a utv.

Slope is one thing, the other is soft soil conditions / getting stuck.

That maxx cultipacker weighs about 360lbs with water 600lbs with sand and is 4ft wide. 12" inch is about in the middle weight wise. I read somewhere that they needed more weight at time than the water.

@Derek Reese 29 built one and used it last year. I can't remember the thread it was under. I'm in the process of building one. I think mine was 14 or 16" diameter and about 3 feet wide. I cut the culvert into 3 sections to be easier to maneuver/take apart.
mine was 16" pipe and it was a little over 2' (I think it was 27-28") long and it weighs well over 300 lbs...its perfect as it covers the space between my 4 wheeler tires perfectly and it worked really well everywhere there wasn't a huge slope (Even then it was ok but it stressed out my little 300cc wheeler)

I talked with my brother in law. We settled on 4'x12" in size. That comes out to a little over 415# on the concrete calculator.

We will be building two of them next weekend!!!