Red Osier Dogwood plan?

wisconsinteacher

5 year old buck +
I'm starting to make a plan to get some ROD growing in my swamp. After a lot of reading and watching, I'm planning on cutting pencil sized lengths and putting them in 6-8" pots this spring and letting the grow over the summer. During the winter months, I hope to put them in the basement to winter them over. Then in the spring of 2025, plant them in the swamp. I also want to cage them. Do you think a 42" cage is tall enough for 3-4 years of protection or do I need taller cages? Thanks

I leave my potted ROD's outside for the winter if I'm growing them at home a second year. A 42" cage will be fine, but if a taller cage isn't much more expensive then taller is better. Once they get that height, they are pretty hard to kill so you will be fine.

That's tall enough - having their tops 'nipped' a bit will just make them spread out faster in my experience - just need to keep them from getting mowed down to the dirt.

What diameter cage do you use? I assume just 1 stake?

I really want to try this on my swamp edges also.

I used 3' high fencing on ROD years ago. Worked fine. Just don't put a 12" dia. cage on a plant. Make them big enough. I planted a silky dogwood in a 12" dia. cage. 3' tall. The plant has still not grown bigger than the cage.

I was thinking I would take 6' of fence and making a 23" diameter cage.

I was thinking I would take 6' of fence and making a 23" diameter cage.

Sounds good. When it gets to six foot, you can wait til winter and cut it back to three foot and use the cuttings to start the whole process over.

I must be spoiled, I have so much rod I am thinking about cutting it back so it doesn't drown out everything else. I would never think about caging it. When I want it somewhere else I just take cuttings and stick em in the ground.