2nd and 3rd year alfalfa plots

Greta&Gus

5 year old buck +
IMG_1648.JPG IMG_1651.JPG IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1654.JPG IMG_1657.JPG It seems like the first year of alfalfa you question why you planted it at all. Then the second year comes along and you realize why it can be such a powerful tool. Total of around 4 acres of alfalfa with another 2 acres of clover adjacent and strips of annuals coming in.

And you have another "hmmmm" moment when you try to get rid of it.

All this alfalfa talk lately has me thinking it might be time to try some again. Lasts a long time and puts out lots of food.

Nice looking plots.

-John

View attachment 13283 View attachment 13284 View attachment 13285 View attachment 13286 View attachment 13287 It seems like the first year of alfalfa you question why you planted it at all. Then the second year comes along and you realize why it can be such a powerful tool. Total of around 4 acres of alfalfa with another 2 acres of clover adjacent and strips of annuals coming in.

I can see a bit of a browse line, so deer numbers must be back, OR the alfalfa is pulling them in from quite a distance.

What are you planting for fruit trees?

Looks good.
Do you hay that or just let it go?

Greta & Gus , what alfalfa did you plant ? Would it be good in north central Pennsylvania near the New York state line. I hear some of the posters on here talking about zones. My dad and I are talking about redoing our food plot at camp. Thanks for any advise, not trying to steal the thread.

I can see a bit of a browse line, so deer numbers must be back, OR the alfalfa is pulling them in from quite a distance.

What are you planting for fruit trees?
The word from the neighbors is there is a lot of deer around, more than the last 5 years. We are not seeing them like they are but there are some. Good turkey and grouse numbers too. The fruit trees are honey crisp, state fair, red barron, zestar, and crab apple. Things are looking good as we also installed a 1/4 mile of fence along our southern boarder to shape deer movements.

Greta & Gus , what alfalfa did you plant ? Would it be good in north central Pennsylvania near the New York state line. I hear some of the posters on here talking about zones. My dad and I are talking about redoing our food plot at camp. Thanks for any advise, not trying to steal the thread.
We are zone 3, I think you would be fine where you are at if you are the same zone. Alfalfa takes a bit to get started, the first year you think it is a bust, but if you have at least 3 acres and you have a few years it is worth it. The only downside I see is that some neighboring farms might have 40 acres of alfalfa and it is hard to compete with that.

thanks for the reply. what alfalfa would you recommend?

The word from the neighbors is there is a lot of deer around, more than the last 5 years. We are not seeing them like they are but there are some. Good turkey and grouse numbers too. The fruit trees are honey crisp, state fair, red barron, zestar, and crab apple. Things are looking good as we also installed a 1/4 mile of fence along our southern boarder to shape deer movements.
What did you use for fence?

Nice looking plots!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

What did you use for fence?
It is an 8 ft deer fence, essentially. 12 years ago when one of the neighbor's property was getting sold there was a real chance that it was going to go to a developer and a road was proposed to be installed on our boarder. In response my grandfather installed 1.25 miles of 8 ft high fence totally blocking off what would have been sub-divided and the road. That never happened and it was sold to another user. But, the fence ended up really helping our deer hunting because it both created some sanctuary pockets and funneled their movements. In the last 6 years we removed a bunch of the fence as it was not needed for it's original use. Unfortunately when we removed the fence it negatively changed the deer movements and created a perfect funnel for our neighbors but made our property very hard to hunt. My grandfather, at 92, re-installed some of the fence this year so we have just under 3/4s of a mile of 8 ft fencing. Now, we believe, the fence is in a perfect spot for us to hunt our property effectively and not push every buck straight to our neighbors.