2019 Grafting Results

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
I did a 'proof of life' walk among my trees today to get the big picture on my grafting success.

I had originally planned on creating a bunch of Espalier trees, so I ordered 10 B9 rootstocks. Changed my mind and I'm just planting a row of 10 to halfway block view of our backyard from the road. I chose 10 of my most vigorous growing varieties to graft to them in order to get them to size, and fruitful, as quick as possible. 8 of ten were successful. The two that failed were scions from my own frankentree, and the source branches never leafed out this spring. Those two failures, Enterprise and Golden Russet, will be regrafted next spring.
20190619_123917.jpg

I had 6 each of M111 and B118 rootstocks that I did not graft to last year. Against advice, I chose to dig them out of the nursery and move them to their final spots, and graft to them at the same time. 10 of the 12 were successful, and have really taken off.
20190619_124226.jpg

I tend to be a penny pincher, more often due to necessity than choice, so for my remaining grafts I purchased seedling apples from a county conservation sale at $1 a piece rather than designer rootstocks. As I expected they were smaller caliper than regular rootstocks, so I planted 40 of the 125 directly into the nursery for future use. The 85 I did graft were noticeably more difficult, and I ended up with 60 successful, or 70%.
20190619_124256.jpg

Pretty happy with results so far.

It looks like I had better success this year at bench grafts and topworks, but maybe I shouldn’t brag yet.
The one variety with complete failure was also Golden Russet. My buddy that sent me the scion had failures with his also. I blame our cold winter.

It looks like 5/7 successes on this Franken tree.
ed3bb84f003907b572221720ee97fbce.jpg
the two failures were the uppermost grafts and the scion is completely gone. Can I blame the birds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6cdec2c3cf81c5210d3827795e6ccc00.jpg

Maybe a Noran on dolgo here. Martha crab, breakey, honeygold, and Noran were fast growers. Geneva , St Lawrence, and a crab from a buddy who named it Tank are slower out of the gate.

As of tonight, I still have signs of life on 26 of my 41 bench grafts. Hopeful that number will settle out north of 20. 2 of my 3 grafts on last year's failed rootstocks are doing well, both Enterprise.

And growth here has basically just stalled out this spring. It's cool, dark, and rainy more days than not. Everything is just sitting still.

I think I’m sitting at 9 out of 25 bench grafts that are still alive, I’m kind of disappointed with it to be honest but maybe I shouldn’t be! Hopefully I don’t loose anymore

Bur and barndog, my golden russet graft didn’t make it either. Strange that all of ours failed.

I'm 65/100 right now. Almost all of the failures have living rootstocks, so I plan to t-bud later this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_20190612_185846667.jpg
    IMG_20190612_185846667.jpg
    634.1 KB · Views: 37
I'm 65/100 right now. Almost all of the failures have living rootstocks, so I plan to t-bud later this summer.
Those look very close, do you have trouble with tangled roots when you dig them out?

It looks like I had better success this year at bench grafts and topworks, but maybe I shouldn’t brag yet.
The one variety with complete failure was also Golden Russet. My buddy that sent me the scion had failures with his also. I blame our cold winter.

It looks like 5/7 successes on this Franken tree.
ed3bb84f003907b572221720ee97fbce.jpg
the two failures were the uppermost grafts and the scion is completely gone. Can I blame the birds?

It looks like I am 13/14 on bench grafts and about 70% on top works. One of my better years. I may lose a few when I slit the e tape next week.

It looks like I am 13/14 on bench grafts and about 70% on top works. One of my better years. I may lose a few when I slit the e tape next week.

You are removing the tape already? It seems like mine just started growing but last year I waited to long. I am 50/50 on my grafts but I got some good native varities to take so I am excited about that. I had a Kerr take but once again I am Striking out with chestnut crabs. That variety does not want to grow for me no matter how many ways and times I try.

20 of 25 so far. Unfortunately 3 of the 5 that haven't made it are the 3 Kerr I tried. They were small scion and tested my limited grafting skills. Kerr is the one variety that has been a hard one for me to get. Just bought 2 of them from Cummins on MM106 for next spring. Not the rootstock I would have picked but hopefully they will do OK and should at least give me future scion.

I had poor success with my grafting.

Last edited:

You are removing the tape already? It seems like mine just started growing but last year I waited to long. I am 50/50 on my grafts but I got some good native varities to take so I am excited about that. I had a Kerr take but once again I am Striking out with chestnut crabs. That variety does not want to grow for me no matter how many ways and times I try.

I am not removing the tape. Just slitting it lengthwise with a scalpel.

20 of 25 so far. Unfortunately 3 of the 5 that haven't made it are the 3 Kerr I tried. They were small scion and tested my limited grafting skills. Kerr is the one variety that has been a hard one for me to get. Just bought 2 of them from Cummins on MM106 for next spring. Not the rootstock I would have picked but hopefully they will do OK and should at least give me future scion.
Sorry for those small scions lol. One of the F trees you gave me is still surviving out of the 10 total that still have life

Sorry for those small scions lol. One of the F trees you gave me is still surviving out of the 10 total that still have life

No worries. They looked great and then petered out. Hope yours makes it.

I didn't go very big this year but I'm pretty happy with this years bench grafts, have four pear and around 16 apple that seem to have made it after two months. Most of the apple are crabs but I do have a few new varieties going (thanks to the scion exchange) that I had been wanting to plant. Youngest boy put in a few pepper plants where room allowed too.
BUE1D2P.jpg

Geneva Crab on dolgo has been a fast grower for me.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190815/fdd26f75e701bfdc36b674340d6da21b.jpg[/IMG
I also put it on a rootsucker from a snowsweet that died and it has done very well. That is probably also a dolgo seedling rootstock.

ca2b62063776b21906f072c4e00358ad.jpg

My first grafting attempt will be spring of next year. I will be bark grafting Pear scions onto Callery pear rootstock. I was already nervous about it and some of these reports aren’t helping. :emoji_thinking: