All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.17 Caliber

THunter

5 year old buck +
Any of y'all have a .17? If so, what kind? I want one to varmint hunt with and have no clue. I prefer an auto-loader rimfire, but a bolt would work.

And knock down power.... 17 HMR is shooting less than a 20 grain pill.

I have one and LOVE it though. Squirrels take a beating. :)

If you're insisting on a .17 for predators look at the .17 hornet.

rifle_ammo-varmint-cutaway-2010.jpg
Sting 'em with the 17 Hornet

Based on the 22 Hornet cartridge case, the 17 Hornet propels the 20 gr V-MAX at 3,650 fps. Fueled with Superformance propellant, the 17 Hornet Superformance Varmint is economically priced, and delivers the trajectory of a traditional 55 gr 223 load, but is a pleasure to shoot with the felt recoil of a 22 WMR. The 17 Hornet – an economical, fun .17 caliber centerfire cartridge that puts the STING on varmints out to 300 yards!

• 3,650 fps muzzle velocity with a 20 gr. V-MAX bullet
  • Same C.O.L. as the 22 Hornet – uses the existing action
  • Trajectory comparable to a traditional 55 gr 223 Rem, but the felt recoil of a 22 WMR
  • Less fouling, barrel wear, powder and pressure compared to the 17 Rem
  • Lower cost and comparable quality to the 17 Fireball and 223 Rem

Mainly squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional armadillo

Mainly squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional armadillo
Since you mentioned rimfire already whats wrong with a good old .22? Or even .22 mag which might be a little over kill. Or are you just looking for a new toy?:D

I have not been impressed with the piston Benjamin air rifle. It took multiple shots to kill a squirrel and will not use it again, I would go with a nice standard 22.

Since you mentioned rimfire already whats wrong with a good old .22? Or even .22 mag which might be a little over kill. Or are you just looking for a new toy?:D

Something different.

I bought a ruger American rimfire 17hmr last yr an love it. Ammo is easy to find and priced reasonable at 11.99 for 50. I got the compact model and it is a nice lil rifle to pack while. The mags are just like a ruger 10/22