Zeroing you guns?

That's a nice looking steak! šŸ„¹

These are the first 2 steaks we cut from it - after hanging for 21 days, we wanted to test it to see if it was ready for butchering yet...and it was.

IMG_3675.JPG

There was so much meat from one of those bison, I prepared it about every which way you can imagine - and it was all great!
IMG_8227.jpeg

IMG_5863.jpeg

IMG_5867.jpeg

IMG_5768.jpeg

Hornady brass is still low quality in that it isn't the most consistent and primer pockets frequently loosen up without many loadings. That said, it isn't bad enough to be limiting for the vast majority of shooters. People still win PRS matches with it. Probably not many bench rest or Fclass folks using it. It's just that there are so many premium option out there now with Peterson, alpha, and ADG putting out lapua quality level brass for lots of cartridges.

I have used Hornady brass mainly because it has been the most available - although that isn't even available in the calibers I am looking for in recent years. I agree that the primer pockets need some serious work with the uniformer on new or once-fired Hornady brass, but I haven't noted that they loosen up much on what I have been loading.

I have been looking for Lapua brass for my 22-250 for over a year now but it just isn't out there. I had heard rumors that Lapua was no longer manufacturing brass for the 22-250 but when I inquired about it to Lapua they assured me that the rumor was false. The reason that a lot of their brass is on the back burner is that they have given a higher priority to producing product to support the war in Ukraine.

I recently sold over 4000 rounds of new 22-250 Winchester loads. This was all Winchester brand. Most was 40 grain bullets and some was 50 grainers.....all were leftovers from PD days of the past. Also thinned out a few thousand primers. Done selling. Still hold onto lots of primers. Gave most of my reloading equipment to my family. Downsizing a bit over time. I can still load here....but getting limited.

These are the first 2 steaks we cut from it - after hanging for 21 days, we wanted to test it to see if it was ready for butchering yet...and it was.

View attachment 55911

There was so much meat from one of those bison, I prepared it about every which way you can imagine - and it was all great!
View attachment 55912

View attachment 55913

View attachment 55914

View attachment 55915
A buffalo would be a lot of fun. My 300 WSM has a brake on it. Lotta noise, but I can shoot my 180s comfortably and accurately. (also, its a really nice gun that I put a safari recoil pad on. Looks like crap, but I can put the bullets where they need to be).

Looking forward to trying it on a moose and grizz here in a month. I have an elk trip next fall that I may try to work up some 165 partitions on depending on how the TTSX loads perform this fall.

Always did 100 for our slug guns. Hit paper at 25 then hopefully breeze past 50. BTW I see a couple places are selling 3" accutips in 20 gauge right now, albeit for $25+ per 5. Searched for 3 yrs to finally find them now. Will keep one 20 gauge in the rotation for the time being.
You can get the Remington accutip directly from Remington now. My Savage 220 shoots really well with them and I've been looking for more slugs for several years. They were expensive, but I bought enough to last a long time.

I would say most hunting rifles and factory loads canā€™t shoot 0.5moa. And a lot of hunters donā€™t have 200 yard ranges to shoot. Most zero at 200 by being 1.5 inches high at 100.

You are looking at being a long distance shooter with precision rifles. Iā€™m talking about pulling the ole 30/06 out after a year and hunting deer!

And, your points are all well taken.
Iā€™m still intrigued by the 25-yard zero. Do you practice farther than 25 yards?

I know the trend seems to be moving towards nylon brushes but I still use bronze brushes and Butch's Bore Shine. I actually wore out a bronze brush during that barrel break-in procedure.
I use Shooters Choice for powder solvent with the bronze brush and then Sweets 7.62 with the nylon brush and patches. I like to clean the gunk out with Gun Scrubber between the Sweets cycles.

Kano Kroil makes a good solvent. 50% Kroil and 50% Shooters Choice was the old standby in my benchrest days.......and I still have allot of that......tho everyone seems to have a witches brew.

My buddy used to swear by regular use of JB compound on a tight patch to smooth a bore.

I looked for two years for lapua 300 PRC brass before finding it in stock. I picked up two boxes figured that should get me to the end of the barrels life.

Last edited:
Iā€™m still intrigued by the 25-yard zero. Do you practice farther than 25 yards?
You seem obsessed with this my man. Relax.

Yeah, it's just a sample of a shot distribution in relation to a circle target for a visual because I didn't want to explain shot distribution in relation to a target with words haha. It doesn't say how big the target is, the ammo, system precision, or wind error but I don't think it paints all that misleading a picture. A 270 shooting a 140 partition @ 3000 fps (hotter than most factory ammo) would have a 6+" windage error if 5 MPH wind were unaccounted for @ 400 yards. So if your zero error puts a guy at the edge of the target, a misread of the wind by only 2.5 MPH would put him 3" further off target.

I'd argue that next to none of them truly keep a normal distribution within 0.5 MOA. Maybe 3 shots here and there.

If ballistics of a gun puts you 1.5" high at 100 when zeroed at 200, i'd argue thats the best way to do it! And it works well for most centerfires.

I just like chatting about this stuff and I'm not trying to "be right" or argue I just know that a lot of these things are common thoughts that we think of and I definitely used to think of it that way. Especially when folks think they have a MOA gun because they shot a 1 MOA group at 100 a couple times and think that means they can hit a 3" target at 300, 4" target at 400, etc. There's a lot more too it than that.
Iā€™m with you my man. I shoot a ton and just enjoy it.

You seem obsessed with this my man. Relax.
Didnā€™t mean to ruffle your feathers. Happy shooting!

Eta: I take much exception to obsessed. I freely admitted ā€œintrigued.ā€ With that said, I can leave this one alone.

Last edited: