Would you climb a tree this way ?

Why not just carry in 4-5 climbing sticks?

No. What would happen if his steps fell when he was moving them? Looks like he was a line men and he was always fastened to the tree.

Wow. Pretty impressive. Way past my capability.....and after I got up there I'd likely get a "nature call" anyway......and have to do it all over again. :rolleyes::D

I think I have seen this video before or one similar on thehuntingbeast.com. There are a lot of guys over that hunt public land so something like this would let you walk further in with less weight to carry.

Edit: Found that thread http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?t=20108

He's young & dumb. When I was young & dumb I would give a bear hug to a tree and shimmy up it. At least he's tied off with a rope. Can't say I did that in my Y&D years.

I can remember buying my first Baker tree stand. Hugged the tree and pulled the stand up with bungee cords on your feet. Made a quick slide down a few trees with that rig before I gave up on going too high with it. Bark rash on more than one occasion.

I don't bear hug any more and probably can't. Screw in steps have eliminated that

He's young & dumb. When I was young & dumb I would give a bear hug to a tree and shimmy up it. At least he's tied off with a rope. Can't say I did that in my Y&D years.

There are old lumberjacks, and there are bold lumberjacks ... they are no old bold lumberjacks ;)

I used to climb rock and ice in college…it looks like he has a background in climbing. He's very sure of his gear and his technique, as all climbers must be.

I like it. Seems like it would allow one to get in to the backcountry a bit lighter. I can also see this useful for getting up and over a new spot, like a scrape line for example, quietly and quickly.

I like it too for the right application. Say you get a wild hair an want to try a new spot with limited noise but not so sure you want a permanent stand there yet. Very cool
Tks for posting

Not for me. Way too slow to get up and down a tree. When I am hunting I want to spend my time hunting not pretending I am a monkey.

I think it takes too long this way. Sometimes you need to get down a little quicker.

He forgot his bow.

The only benefits I see to this method would be the obvious weight difference while walking and the ability to go as high as you want. Even with 4 or 5 climbing sticks, you are limited to a fairly consistent set height. Otherwise, I think it just takes too long. I can set up 4 climbing sticks every bit as quick, or quicker. And I would feel a lot safer doing it my way, but he sure has it down to a science, for him.