Would You Bush Hog This???

MilkweedManiac

5 year old buck +
Hey Folks,

I wanted to see what various thoughts might be concerning the nature of this decision. This is a newly acquired property and I am slowly making changes and that process begins this year. This particular question concerns whether or not I should leave the thick, gnarly Multiflora Rose|Blackberry edge (probably 75% Multiflora Rose) that is growing up next to the creek of this bottom field, or if I should bush hog it this spring and start over with a different type of edge. It doesn't look like it in the photo, but these brambles are quite thick and nasty, leaving deer only3-4 of opportunities to exit the woods up into the field. The blue line in the picture indicates a small creek (3-4 ft. deep) that runs between the woods and field.

Now, I like the idea of a blockade for deer hunting, I mean that's Steve B 101 kind of stuff. But I can't help but think maybe I should start over with a better type of cover. The strip of brush is very wide, maybe 20 feet or so on average. So reclaiming that soil could possible leave me the option of a NWSG buffer, Shrub Tree Line, edge feathering, etc. This is a pretty small planting area, so I also like the idea of having a little extra space to play with, even if it just ends up being an access path of some kind.

I honestly don't see a ton of browse on the Blackberries there, and even if I did, I can think of better habitat that lasts a little longer than that and could always let Blackberries grow up elsewhere.

Thoughts and opinion are always welcome.

IMG_4894.jpgIMG_7016.jpg

Where are you located? Have you hunted this property yet to see how the deer use this area?

Field edges don't stay like that for too long. You'll see some shrubs and trees growing in there - possibly some preferred browse species too since they could be protected by the thorns. Multiflora rose can hang on longer than blackberries, but over time shrubs and trees will take over that spot. Actually on the left side of your lower picture it looks like you have a young red oak growing in the black berries.

If you want more food, brush hog the area, spray it and plant some food. If you will be hunting that edge, I would hinge cut a bunch of trees along that edge to make the area super thick so there is only one trail from the woods going to the field and then you could put up a stand on each side of that trail for different wind directions. If you are hunting that edge you just have to be careful that you don't turn it into a bedding area where you spook deer every time you walk to and from your stand.

If this is a brand new spot that you haven't hunted yet I would leave this area alone for a year to see how the deer currently use it. You don't want to make improvements that make your hunting worse! I really like natural edges like this, so if it were mine I would probably leave it alone and take out any junk vegetation that is causing problems which will hopefully promote more beneficial natural regeneration. You could also plant some shrubs right into those thorny bushes since they will act like free tree guards and prevent browsing.

I loved the thought about using briars as almost an exclusion cage of sorts...I guess I just assumed that once the leaves came on they would choke out anything I planted of lacking sunlight.

Yes, I have hunted this property many years, but only recently had the opportunity to buy it. The hillside you see (in both pictures), is where the deer like to bed. It extends for about 300 yards or more down through there. So with the help of an acquaintance who understands good TSI and deer cover way more than I do, I'm hoping to put a plan together to lower the ceiling on that little "mini-ridge" so the deer can't see a quarter mile away when they bed up there.

I do like having a thick edge that transitions into food or tall grass as I have seen the deer pause there and observe before stepping out into the open.

I was just thinking that there might be better options to provided them cover and a little better nutrition.

If I ever hunt that area (right now access is nearly impossible due to the aforementioned bedding issue), I would think dropping down into that creek and having some form of cover on both sides of it in the future would be a must to make it happen. Otherwise, they'd see me 200 yards before I got to them.

Another option would be to gun hunt it and put a blind inside some thick cover on top of that hill (bottom picture) and just hunt the area from afar.

But I really like bow hunting the best.

Here is the thing in my opinion. Will the area get enough light to support the other options you are considering? If it will and you need the diversity, then mow, plant, protect and leave well enough alone. I doubt you get much bedding in a low area, but you certainly can add shrubs and the like to increase browse and diversity on your place. I say this because lots of folks see an open spot and immediately think "food plot". You mention that access is tricky so I would simply make a good bedding area a little better and otherwise stay out of there. If you have briars and the like in other places, simply plant shrubs and non-hunting season food sources. I would kill off any cool season grass you have there and maybe disturb the soil (as long as you don't have invasives in the area). This will allow mother nature to do her thing and you can also plant and protect some species that you don't already have. The briars and MFR may come back, but as long as you have other things planted and they have a fighting chance you should be fine. Just be sure to protect what you plant or the deer have a way or eating everything you don't want them to. You can also experiment with things like cuttings as well if the area is fairly large or simply work smaller areas as you progress. Work with what is native for your area and is best suited for your soil and sun light exposure and you should be fine. Good luck and take lots of pics - especially before. You will be surprised how quickly only a few years go by and how quickly things can change.

Thanks, J-Bird...

I thought the same thing about bedding low, but I checked out that swampy north field (even lower in elevation than the one above) last week and the entire northern property line was stacked with beds like these pictured.

Now, I'm guessing these are mainly rut beds, but cameras are telling me they used them mighty frequently from October to the last of January. If I could duplicate a situation like this in the aforementioned area, I'd be ok with that. As it stands, the field is wide open and desperately needs screen, and the right kind of cover/daytime browse.

I want Mr. Big to know he's always welcome should he want to come court the ladies on this side of the fence.

That said, I think I will probably end up bush hogging it and trying to get some native shrubs in the mix. It would eventually help with screening and things and I can block the deer in other ways down the road should the need arise. Additionally, the briars in the picture are all over this farm to begin with, so it wouldn't take long to grow it back again if necessary.

Thanks everyone!

IMG_7162.JPG

Deer will bed where they feel the safest. It can also change seasonally as well. As such the more options you give them the more likely they stay and or bring some friends... If you can dual purpose that cover with some food then you really have something. It may make it more difficult to pull those deer out of there....but if they are less likely to come out, that means they are less likely to wander to the neighbors as well! If you put a high value food source on your side and don't pressure them...they will come out eventually....you just gotta be in the right place at the right time! I think there is real value in KNOWING where they bed sometimes more so than even where they feed.

I have had very good success spraying MFR with a dose of gly in the spring before everything else wakes up. You could potentially spray it and leave the rest to grow up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have no love of Multiflora Rose and try to eradicate it when ever and where ever I see it. I do not have it on my hunting land. It is thick on my adjacent neighbors land and sometimes intrudes onto my home acreage. I cut it with a long pole saw, get the thorns off to the side and treat the stump with Tordon. Some of the nastiest cut you up good brush I have ever worked with.

Something to think about is that brushy edges like that become a death sentence for any fawns turkeys etc that may be born there. Predators will be following the edge and likely find anything in there. My inclination would be to keep it clean preferably planted in something edible.

Gentlemen I have already begun the process of deletion. It shall be done. When clean I will stop back by and post a picture. It will be a few weeks, as I will be borrowing my neighbor's brush hog for the bigger, nastier growth. Since it's next to a creek, I am wondering if I need some kind of buffer planting to filter/slow down the sediment. Something short, Baker, to your point about fawn safety.

How did this project turn out Milkweed? I’m getting into a similar project - an old pasture that has been unattended to for 15+ years. Chest high MFR/blackberries/brambles with plenty of thumb size diameter saplings. Just trying to figure out the best plan of attack.

How did this project turn out Milkweed? I’m getting into a similar project - an old pasture that has been unattended to for 15+ years. Chest high MFR/blackberries/brambles with plenty of thumb size diameter saplings. Just trying to figure out the best plan of attack.

I guess it depends what you want to do with it. But we have a couple areas we're going to let go into "old field growth" where we want deer to bed and filter thru, tho we won't be able to hunt them much in those spots.
Our plan is to mow 1/3 of that each year in 3 year cycles kinda deal so that we don't let it get too big, but it'll be good deer and bunny habitat.

Reactions: DJN
Planning on putting it into plot (clover or brassicas etc) as well as seedlings (hard and soft mast) around the edges. Bedding areas aren’t an issue, but food (once corn and soybean crops come off) is.

Last edited:
This isn't the best picture, but to the right of the photo you can see the spray line where we mowed back briars and then hit with dual herbicide before planting and fencing off soybeans. I left a slight feathering of the briars to the right of the spray line before it drops down into the little creek/ditch. Interestingly enough, I'm glad I did. Those very briars brought me a neat encounter with a nice buck in the fall who took a break from the beans to grab some MF Rose about 20 yards away from me. So I definitely see value in leaving those little feathered edges in key spots because deer do enjoy feeding on them in mid to late season. My future goal is to replace the thorny browse with more desirable shrubs and bushes, but for now what is there will do.
IMG_8985.JPG

This isn't the best picture, but to the right of the photo you can see the spray line where we mowed back briars and then hit with dual herbicide before planting and fencing off soybeans. I left a slight feathering of the briars to the right of the spray line before it drops down into the little creek/ditch. Interestingly enough, I'm glad I did. Those very briars brought me a neat encounter with a nice buck in the fall who took a break from the beans to grab some MF Rose about 20 yards away from me. So I definitely see value in leaving those little feathered edges in key spots because deer do enjoy feeding on them in mid to late season. My future goal is to replace the thorny browse with more desirable shrubs and bushes, but for now what is there will do.
Looks great Milkweed! Thanks for the update