Wolves in Wisconsin 2016

Wolves are killing machines. Do they eat from their kills? Yes that's how they feed themselves. But what they eat is only a small portion of what they kill. They are the definition of Thrill Killers. If we have to have wolves in WI then the number should be limited to the original agreement goal and no more.

Do your math, 1,000 wolves are eating 365,000 deer/year? Please post the study.
I was asking about the numbers from the study you said you saw, that said they can consume up to 20/year. The study I was referring to, is a report regarding wolf number summaries that state the numbers from a June 2016 DNR site.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Wildlifehabitat/wolf/documents/Pack_Summaries.pdf

866-897 total wolves. THIS IS THE NUMBER THAT I STRUGGLE TO BELIEVE!!!!

I agree to limit them so take that up with the liberal/dem appointed federal judge that banned the hunt. As far as consumption? They eat everything except the head and spine. So refigure the lbs/deer.

They leave plenty of waste laying around after they are done. Sometimes there is nothing missing other then the hind quarters, and the guts, sometimes they just wound the deer, and the deer go to die elsewhere. I have also seen where all that is there is hair, blood, and a head, but more times then not, they waste a lot.

They got Douglas Cty covered that's for sure. You will know when they move into the area. It's not just the deer they kill but more the stress they put on the herd and the fact that the deer probably just move out when the wolves move in. Personally I think having them on the landscape makes the wilderness wild, but they need to be controlled.

They leave plenty of waste laying around after they are done. Sometimes there is nothing missing other then the hind quarters, and the guts, sometimes they just wound the deer, and the deer go to die elsewhere. I have also seen where all that is there is hair, blood, and a head, but more times then not, they waste a lot.

No they don't ... as Pack hunters they are very focused killing for food, not for other needs. The pack is set-up as a killing unit to benefit the pack as a group. Normally the Alpha males eat & gorge 1st, then primary females, then the beta females & the youngsters. The alpha animals will eat the organs 1st as they have the highest quality food benefit. You always need to remember that pack animals can make multiple attempts at a kill and not be successful.

The hierarchy of the pack is set based on many things none of which is killing to just get the prime meat. If there is waste laying around, in the eyes of mother natures predators, there was a disruptions to the kill site, or it was a solitary animal that walked away ... maybe a bear, bobcat, or the deer died for some other reason.

Whatever you have seen is not representative of a pack hunting order of canines ... please provide your qualifications or experience to identify wolf or coyote kills from other kill sites?

No they don't ... as Pack hunters they are very focused killing for food, not for other needs. The pack is set-up as a killing unit to benefit the pack as a group. Normally the Alpha males eat & gorge 1st, then primary females, then the beta females & the youngsters. The alpha animals will eat the organs 1st as they have the highest quality food benefit. You always need to remember that pack animals can make multiple attempts at a kill and not be successful.

The hierarchy of the pack is set based on many things none of which is killing to just get the prime meat. If there is waste laying around, in the eyes of mother natures predators, there was a disruptions to the kill site, or it was a solitary animal that walked away ... maybe a bear, bobcat, or the deer died for some other reason.

Whatever you have seen is not representative of a pack hunting order of canines ... please provide your qualifications or experience to identify wolf or coyote kills from other kill sites?

My only resource was my eyes. I have only seen about a half dozen kills, and 3 of them were left with over half the meat remaining. I dont know the circumstances behind their kills, and why they left them. It could very well been bears, I have many of them around me as well.

I also have an aunt that lives by Duluth, and they will kill her cows pretty regularly. Usually when they calf, the wolves take the calf, and if the mothers hang out, they kill the cow as well. They dont consume much of the cow kills, but what the MN DNR told her, is that they get spooked off the kill because of regular farming, and road traffic. Luckily the MN DNR has a program that will cover some of the loss from wolf kills, if they are determined by the DNR, that they are without a doubt, a wolf kill. Unfortunately that almost requires a video it seems at times, because fresh tracks all around the kill site just means, they came in to eat some of the remains, and that doesnt prove the wolf killed them.

I have came in counter with a few wolves in my day while in the woods, none of them have made any sort of a offensive attack on me, nor have they done as much as acknowledged I was even there. They had no fear of me, and treated me like a tree in the woods, walked straight at me, 15 yards away, I was feeling a little uneasy, I waved my arms, yelled, it didnt steer them from coming directly at me. I grabbed a stick, and threw it at them, and they veered about 20 yards into the woods, and continued to go around me. The wind was at my back, blowing directly to them. I was on foot, but I was about 5 feet from the back of my camper. They continued to the back of my property and made their way directly under my sons deer stand when he was in it hunting. They were following a pair of does, that made the same path minutes earlier. In the past couple of years, the wolves have moved down the road a few miles, but now the bear are getting over populated in the area. It is a no win for the deer. Its either hard winters, wolves, bears, or over generous doe tags.

Another encounter I had with wolves is from sitting in a deer stand in public land. The land was just logged a year earlier. I had seen 4 wolves in line, they were making a deer drive. Once they kicked up a deer, they would start yelping, and the posters would come in strong. After I seen part of this in real life, I had to do some reading on it. It is very impressive on how they hunt, I also know they are known to consume the majority of what they kill, but what I have witnessed is a little different from what I read. I know when I have wolves in the area, I dont see many deer at all. I know they dont kill all the deer, but they do drive them away.

Tell that to the sheep farmers.......

anthropomorphism - the attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object.

anthropomorphism - the attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object.
Not sure what exactly you were getting at Spud, but again, whatever it was, those sheep farmers don't care. They don't want fancy definitions to big words, all they want is to ensure that their animals, thus their livelihood, are safe and secure from random acts of violence from the DNR's "pets". That is really what the wolves are at this point, considering they are no longer a game animal, not that the DNR had anything to do with that, but the Feds hung their butts out to dry in situations like this, and I do feel for the DNR personnel that have to deal with this.

Tree Spud, do you have wolves by you, on your hunting land? Or in the area that you live in? Because your words sound like they came out of a book, or a classroom, rather then real life. The majority of people that live with wolves, tend to not like them much. Some dont mind them, but most dont like them.

The Yellowstone park website says that wolves kill 22 ungulates a year (mainly elk since the page is talking about elk?) How much meat would an elk have including organs? 4-5 times as much as a deer?
http://www.yellowstonepark.com/gray-wolves-impact-elk/
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/wolves.htm

It looks like the yellowstone wolves are 30%-50% larger than the wolves in MN/WI based on some other numbers I found with a few searches. Some quick math puts that at 50-60 deer a year for comparison.

The International Wolf Center says that wolves need 7 lbs of meat a day to reproduce successfully. http://www.wolf.org/wolf-info/basic-wolf-info/wolf-faqs/#s
With 60 lbs of meat/organs for a whitetail deer in MN/WI, they would need 40+ deer a year. Do they eat all of the meat from every kill? Probably not.. 60 lbs is also likely on the high end. Eating 40 lbs from a deer on average would bring the numbers needed over 60.

2.5 lbs a day is needed to survive per Wolf Center, at 40 lbs a meat from a deer that puts us right around 22 deer a year. The MN/WI DNR must think our wolves our barely surviving when they keep telling us that they only kill 20 deer a year?

I agree to limit them so take that up with the liberal/dem appointed federal judge that banned the hunt. As far as consumption? They eat everything except the head and spine. So refigure the lbs/deer.

We have had wolves in our area for 25+ years. Dairy farm until 2009 and have had beef cattle since... Have seen plenty of wolf kills of cattle, calves and deer. They may eat everything if conditions are right, but usually it seems that they eat what they want as quickly as possible and then move on. Coyotes, eagles, vultures, crows, etc. do a huge amount of cleanup very quickly. We have also had pictures of wolves in coyotes at the same location within a day or two of each other at a gut pile/deer carcass.

Pro tip: when there are wolves around they will clean up a dead wolf within a couple days as well.