winter stress?

wildfire

5 year old buck +
I have 2 pictures of deer from this spring that have hide missing, both are 2- 5" located 6-8" down both on the left side of the body The hide shows bare skin, like being attacked by something. 1 behind front shoulder, the other in front of rear leg.

I have 2 pictures of deer from this spring that have hide missing, both are 2- 5" located 6-8" down both on the left side of the body The hide shows bare skin, like being attacked by something. 1 behind front shoulder, the other in front of rear leg.

Wildfire every year about this time of the year there will be pictures of deer that look like they have been attacked with a long scrape on them. In reality most of the time it is the deer loosing their winter coat. What happens as they run thru the woods they will brush against a sharper stick and pull the loose winter hair off giving it the appearance of an injury.

The deer always look like a wreck this time of year. I do however have a few older bucks and some fawns that are skinner than I would like. A lot of ribs showing, the does all seem to look pretty healthy.