Winter rye seed in Southwest Ohio

Telemark

5 year old buck +
Anyone know of a place to get rye in the Dayton-Cincinnati area? I'd like to avoid the shipping costs on 200lbs of rye, but if there is nothing local then I guess I will have to order from Merit.

I'd imagine a local feed store or farm and home store would stock it.

That's what I had hoped, but none of them seem to offer it. Plenty of corn, soybeans, and wheat, but no rye at any of the places that have a website.

Probably have to wait until it's harvested in July or August to get seed. That's when it's usually available in mn.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I can never get rye here in NY until right when I’m ready to plant. I like to get it in last week of August. Sometimes they have it and sometimes I have to wait until as late as first week of September. I have to pick up and plant same day sometimes just to get it in and has any chance to get enough growing weather.

Anyone know of a place to get rye in the Dayton-Cincinnati area? I'd like to avoid the shipping costs on 200lbs of rye, but if there is nothing local then I guess I will have to order from Merit.
The place in Bethel might have it. I used to buy seed there but is not too convenient to my SE property location. I did always buy it in August so time of year might be an issue.

That's what I had hoped, but none of them seem to offer it. Plenty of corn, soybeans, and wheat, but no rye at any of the places that have a website.

Post on Facebook or look on Craigslist.

I've checked everything I can find. I guess I might have to buy it in August and plant it next year. Would brassicas be a good substitute for a late fall plot boost?

Absolutely!

try Ernst seeds in meadville pa. my grandson goes to school in erie an he stopped at ernst seeds on his trip home thursday picked up 5-54lb bags of aroostook common also they also have a not stated variety seed

Walnut Creek Seeds, LLC
330-475-6352

Walnut Creek Seeds, LLC
330-475-6352
That's Dave Brandt's operation. I'd make the drive just to meet that dude and bend his ear for a few minutes.

Probably have to wait until it's harvested in July or August to get seed. That's when it's usually available in mn.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
This has been my experience too. Last fall I bought enough cereal rye to get me through this fall.

When a new crop is available.....and if the price is fair.....I think I will buy two years worth. I think the seed stays viable for a few years if kept dry. In my area it's hard to get cereal rye when you want it. Not sure why that is? Anybody??

Getting rye early has been tough here as well until this years crop becomes available. Did find it one year in June but next year same place nope gotta wait until later. Did hear from the guy that local contractors can clean him out when he has it early as they use it after construction jobs and are just looking to cover bare dirt quickly until other stuff can establish.
But now maybe they have switched to using a combined product with fine straw and seed and a green dye they blow out from some rig. Township is redoing ditches by my house right now and that is what they have done to quickly stop erosion. So maybe the demand for early rye has been reduced and so the places dont stock until the real users aka farmers need it later. Farmers dont cover crop much until beans and corn are gone here.

This has been my experience too. Last fall I bought enough cereal rye to get me through this fall.

When a new crop is available.....and if the price is fair.....I think I will buy two years worth. I think the seed stays viable for a few years if kept dry. In my area it's hard to get cereal rye when you want it. Not sure why that is? Anybody??
Why? 1) On average the annual supply and demand for rye seed is about equal. Some years demand is higher than supply so at nearly any reasonable price supply approaches zero. Around Virginia the local Soil & Water Conservation Districts often provide a subsidy to farmers who plant rye for cover. 2) Rye seed isn't a valuable crop - not like corn or soybeans. Suppliers and resellers won't dedicated space to carryover stock. And that stock comes with significant carrying costs over and above lost opportunity to put something else on the floor - like germination testing to retag the carryover after a year. And I guess 3) There's always a great risk of a bumper crop the next year and the resulting drop in carryover stock values. I guess the simple answer to why is economics.

Why? 1) On average the annual supply and demand for rye seed is about equal. Some years demand is higher than supply so at nearly any reasonable price supply approaches zero. Around Virginia the local Soil & Water Conservation Districts often provide a subsidy to farmers who plant rye for cover. 2) Rye seed isn't a valuable crop - not like corn or soybeans. Suppliers and resellers won't dedicated space to carryover stock. And that stock comes with significant carrying costs over and above lost opportunity to put something else on the floor - like germination testing to retag the carryover after a year. And I guess 3) There's always a great risk of a bumper crop the next year and the resulting drop in carryover stock values. I guess the simple answer to why is economics.
A big reason for cereal rye being hard to get....is my logistics. I am up in the "big woods" of northern MN......and it's not agricultural area. My local feed store carries allot of seeds....but will not carry rye anymore (I dont get those guys). Most of the co-op's are miles alway.....so I need to plan ahead on buying these basic needs. Shipping this stuff is too costly. Keeping about 10 to 20 bags of rye on hand solves issues for me. Same for a few other seeds like red clover, radish, rape or collards seed. Fairly inexpensive and always useful.

Telemark,

Do you have a local soil and water conservation office? Almost every state has a state college affiliation with farmers to help them. in NY its cornell cooperative externsion. Perhaps they can steer you in a direction. A large local produce farmer might have some info too.

There is shipping free or friendly options to rye. Feed oats work great. I've never compared it offically myself, but oats are often considered deer's prefer small grain. Tractor supply has them. I have used their seed for a few years, great germination. Never had a problem, but I always test the germination myself. Count out 25 seeds and put them in a shallow pot, see how many sprout.

Another cheap cover crop option is medium red clover. Spend a few bucks and get a 50lb bag. Put it on a bit on the heavy side. Or mix with the oats, then put some daikon raddish in.

Telemark,

Do you have a local soil and water conservation office? Almost every state has a state college affiliation with farmers to help them. in NY its cornell cooperative externsion. Perhaps they can steer you in a direction. A large local produce farmer might have some info too.

There is shipping free or friendly options to rye. Feed oats work great. I've never compared it offically myself, but oats are often considered deer's prefer small grain. Tractor supply has them. I have used their seed for a few years, great germination. Never had a problem, but I always test the germination myself. Count out 25 seeds and put them in a shallow pot, see how many sprout.

Another cheap cover crop option is medium red clover. Spend a few bucks and get a 50lb bag. Put it on a bit on the heavy side. Or mix with the oats, then put some daikon raddish in.

I will look into the conservation office and state colleges.

I already have clover on order, and I was hoping to have the rye for the winter. I guess I can snag a bag of wheat if the rye doesn't pan out.