Willow cuttings

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
When do I need to take and plant guys? I rooted some in water last summer and planted but that’s my only experience. Can I do it anytime? Or is there a preferred month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When do I need to take and plant guys? I rooted some in water last summer and planted but that’s my only experience. Can I do it anytime? Or is there a preferred month

I would think early spring while they're still dormant.

Thanks. Ya kinda what I thought but just hoping someone had first hand knowledge. I know they root very easy in just water

Yep, late March before they bud out when ground is nice and soft.

I have always done early spring but last years' drought killed all my spring cuttings. I soaked some in water for a small week in late summer and put those in the ground. they mostly all took and sprouted leaves. This spring should tell the tail on if it was a success or not but I'm fairly optimistic.

I have always done early spring but last years' drought killed all my spring cuttings.

Like hillrunner points out moisture is key. I would never start a willow in water until it roots. Kills the ease of planting cuttings because a shovel is then required. Just poke them in the ground early spring before bud break and prey for good moisture. At least 2/3 of the cutting below ground. The more under ground the better. I always like to only leave 2 buds above ground.

Willows are the most forgiving cutting I’ve ever planted.

Bill, would that method work poking them into mowed Reed canary grass and them matting them? Or would they not be able to root because of the dense Reed canary roots? I want to do a bunch of streamco cuttings this way.

Stream bank restoration folks just bundle stick of them together, lay them in a shallow hole by the creek and cover it a bit. They call them wattles.

Real easy stuff early in the year.

Every few years I cut a whole bunch and take them to camp. I take both willow and red dogwood. We pay per acre and about 75 of it is swamp. Got a awesome spot on the edge of the swamp the guys like. A litle plot on the edge of the swamp about 20ft above the swap, then a good travel route right next to that plot. And the end of the swamp has probably gotten about 200 willows over a handful of acres on that side. Deer love it in the spring, but take comfort using that side to travel. Spot is covered well too, so it's a great rainy day spot......

I've never done willow cuttings, but someone is sending me some that should be here by this weekend. Would you guys recommend going ahead and sticking them in the ground when I get them? Does it matter that they are forecasting some nights down to 13 degrees soon?

I have done some research on them. Make sure to cut them at an angle, and plant them in wet ground, not necessarily standing water for best results.

As for your actual question, if the ground is thawed enough to poke a hole in it, and to smush it back tight around the cutting, it shouldn’t matter. But if you can wait until lows don’t get below mid 20’s, that would be best. I have read both sides.

Bill, would that method work poking them into mowed Reed canary grass and them matting them? Or would they not be able to root because of the dense Reed canary roots? I want to do a bunch of streamco cuttings this way.

Sorry I missed this. Doubtful small cutting won’t get swallowed by the canary grass.

I have done some research on them. Make sure to cut them at an angle, and plant them in wet ground, not necessarily standing water for best results.

As for your actual question, if the ground is thawed enough to poke a hole in it, and to smush it back tight around the cutting, it shouldn’t matter. But if you can wait until lows don’t get below mid 20’s, that would be best. I have read both sides.

What he said.
The angle cut is at the bottom to identify which end goes in the ground. If you plant them upside down they won’t live.

I just put about 200 cuttings in the ground last weekend. Ground was still froze but used a 24" wood boring bit to to get through the frost. Water filled the hole before I could get the cutting in.

My biggest concern now is that spring gets here, they bud out and then a late frost hits them. Had this happen last year.

I tried some willows in RCG last year and they weren't really growing until I buzzed off the RCG later in the summer and then they added 2 feet in height in about 2 months.....note to self keep the grass away from the trees....then a buck came and rubbed 2 out of the 4 of them in October...

Well I got a lot cut and planted last couple days so maybe later this summer I can give an update.

I've never done willow cuttings, but someone is sending me some that should be here by this weekend. Would you guys recommend going ahead and sticking them in the ground when I get them? Does it matter that they are forecasting some nights down to 13 degrees soon?
Can you put half in now half after cold temps leave? I would think because they are dormant the frost wouldn't hurt them. The plants usually know when to wake up on their own, a frost after they just start to leave out can be bad. I just planted some rod thru the frost to see how it works planting in cold weather. Here is a pic of a sandbar willow I started in water less than 2 weeks ago. They root fast. It has 3 inch root already! I usually just stick them right in the ground and they do good, just need moisture and a little weed control the first year.

Attachments

• 0310221642.jpg
    0310221642.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 15

Best to do it while they are dormant. A lot of guys soak willows in water for up to a week but not long enough that roots start. I think it gives them a head start. Just as long as you don't have to worry about early frosts.

Can you put half in now half after cold temps leave? I would think because they are dormant the frost wouldn't hurt them. The plants usually know when to wake up on their own, a frost after they just start to leave out can be bad. I just planted some rod thru the frost to see how it works planting in cold weather. Here is a pic of a sandbar willow I started in water less than 2 weeks ago. They root fast. It has 3 inch root already! I usually just stick them right in the ground and they do good, just need moisture and a little weed control the first year.

Yes, I could do that. I made some big cages and was planning on putting three cuttings per cage. I could go ahead tomorrow and put the cages up with part of the cuttings and then go back next Monday after the cold weather and add the rest of the cuttings. Thanks for the suggestion.

Has anyone looked into planting poles?

Has anyone looked into planting poles?
Haha. No. That there is a cutting! I will stick to 12" cuttings so I don't have to carry that custom made" thumper" thru the swamps and woods.