Wildflower/Native Grasses: Why are seeds so expensive?

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
I have about a 5 acre field that I plan to build a small home on in 10 years and do not want to plant any trees on it, but would like to plant something beneficial to wildlife that will look better than just an overgrown field. I was looking into wildflower seed mixes and native grass seed mixes and the prices are insane! Just curious as to why? Thanks for the info.

VV

Hand harvested

I'm guessing it take special equipment to harvest them, not a lot of demand (an acre of beans probably makes more $$$ than an acre of purple cone flower), and they require multi-year cycles to produce a viable seed crop. Just guessing though. I harvest a lot of my own seed.

Is it currently in fescue? If yes, then nuke it and you will be surprised at what comes up.

Is it currently in fescue? If yes, then nuke it and you will be surprised at what comes up.

It is some sort of pasture mix that the previous property owner put down for his cattle. It I let it grow up, it is primarily broom sedge.

VV

We did a 1/4 acre wildflower plot this year... silly expensive...

Supposedly it'll be beautiful one day...

I have about a 5 acre field that I plan to build a small home on in 10 years and do not want to plant any trees on it, but would like to plant something beneficial to wildlife that will look better than just an overgrown field. I was looking into wildflower seed mixes and native grass seed mixes and the prices are insane! Just curious as to why? Thanks for the info.

VV

Here’s an option. I didn’t find this. Someone posted last year. I believe 2020 may the last year. I also believe for 5 acres seed would be free but you can read up on it.

https://beeandbutterflyfund.org/hab...I63PJBxlj1m5keJXCscdGfl4CKRsqMFsNHifeZWcMeMpY

VV
Cat scratch hit on it. Seed is a commodity. Large volume means lower price, small volume means higher price. Native seed is not chosen for planting because it has a huge seed crop like most seeds. It’s chosen because it’s a native seed and its out put of viable seed is way below what you would want for any other seed crop. So native and wild flower seed is always higher and those cultivars are always in short supply.