Wild raspberry

Yarg

5 year old buck +
Just noticed if you guys see much use on wild raspberry and if that would be a good native part of edge cover in the wetter spots thanks

I have lots of wild berries on my land. Black cap, black berry, and elderberry. With all those present, I only have a few small areas of wild red raspberry. It is in areas that do not have any of the other berries around. My land is in the Central Sands area of Wisconsin so I do not know how raspberries would grow in wetter spots. When I did my every third row thinning of my pine trees, all outside rows adjacent to roads or fire lanes were harvested. This allowed more sunlight to penetrate to the understory and coincided with the explosion of berry bushes on my land.

I've got some heavier, wet soils in places and anywhere I open up the canopy or let the ground go I get wild raspberries growing. Doesn't take much for them to go by themselves. I did see a little browsing from deer as well during the winter time.

I've got lots of them, not sure about deer use but the birds sure love them and when they are thick they make mean bunny cover.

As for deer browsing, I've seen deer browse the young, tender top growth - the parts that don't have thorns yet. I've seen some logged areas on our camp property and on state land that came up in red AND black raspberries. Deer made a feast of that young tender stuff. Saw it in Maine, too.

Any birds - from tweeties to turkeys and grouse will love the berries - and the cover the canes provide. And as H20 said ^^^^ great bunny cover. Great diversity to have.

I looked it up... was actually talking about rubus odoratus, the purple flowered raspberry..the one with large grape like leaves and big purple pinkish flowers, it's in the Rose family and some might even call it thimbleberry??

deer will browse them, even the briers

Just noticed if you guys see much use on wild raspberry and if that would be a good native part of edge cover in the wetter spots thanks

I do everything in my power to eliminate them. They are no different than any other invasive such as honeysuckle or autumn olive.

They will spread and canopy to elimnate everything else. they whave root sucker growth & woody stem structure that is hard to deal with herbicibes or ground disturbance.

Birds, squirrels, & all other mammals including deer spread their seed. Birds eat them and spread growth everywhere. In a wild setting you can't control growth.