All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WI Muzzleloader Season

Our situation is a bit unique right now, lots of surrounding pressure during late bow & gun has pushed the deer onto our place. I sat over a corn field that was only picked 2.5 weeks ago so it is still fresh. Neighbor across the road has a couple of acres of corn still standing so the deer bed on our place and feed late day across ours to across the road, that's where they were all heading last night.

They will start to disperse and look for other food as the season moves on.

The problem we face with doe mgmt. is what to do with the meat? The closet processor that will take deer donations is almost 70 miles away. Have already given 2 deer worth of meat to family and friends, and I still have 3 deer worth of meat in the freezer.

Last edited:
Skunked, not a deer today. The full moon is effecting movement. The deer weren't piling out of the doe sanctuary until well after shooting hours, so pressure isn't effecting movement. Seen well over 20 driving out.

Dipper ... similar experience. Some early movement by does out in the marsh around 3 pm. Afew came out to the corn 20 minutes before closing but were real skittish.

Then right at closing the deer came piling out.

10 deer this afternoon. All baldies except for a 4 pointer. Unfortunately can't shoot antlerless in Langlade county. Going to be a boat load of deer by me next year.

Our trail cams showing late morning and noon time movement of bucks. No giants but several different bucks. Might be due to full moon.

One fawn and two does way off tonight. Last night was zip but one came in just as I left my tree and took off. Lots of pressure here so they are pretty nocturnal. Wishin I had an Iowa gun tag today.

I saw 4 does this morning. Scouted some public land this afternoon, probably will hunt there later this week.

Emergency hunts coming in the farmland zones to address the low antletless harvest
Any details on this? I'm not seeing any news on this.

A farmer can get all the tags he wants for free, actually get paid for them. What's the big deal here?

The way I read the law, a farmer can get free tags but cannot receive any compensation for crop damage. If he/she receives compensation, it must be open to the public. Am I wrong????

The way I read the law, a farmer can get free tags but cannot receive any compensation for crop damage. If he/she receives compensation, it must be open to the public. Am I wrong????

Probably ... try entering a farmers field without permission ... by the time the proper authority would arrive, they may not be able to find dna samples ... :(

Thats correct many play games with the public hunting aspect

I stopped along the road about 1/4 mile north of my place and asked a group of guys in orange last week if they were trailing a deer ...

It was 8 am and the looks I got told me as a neighbor that I should be concerned. Apparently one of the group shot a buck the night before, they waited till morning to trail In the morning they found a drag and blood line out their field and to the road ....

These guys are not to be trifled with ... LOL ... :)

I am a neighbor and I was a suspect ....

Thankful my 30 is not in farmland zone, the Amish here would clear all the deer out like they did a few years ago.

Deer have been sitting tight, during daylight. I saw one unidentifiable deer last night. They were clearly feeding last night on a cut corn field of mine, with tracks all over. I sat in the area this morning, not a deer. The full moon is sure effecting movement. I almost hit a doe wanting to enter an open field at noon. They are bedded 100 yards from me now, not expecting movement until real late, or none at all. We shall see.

Deer didn't move until well after dark. I could of had a little puppy, that was the only deer I saw. Didn't see a deer driving out for the first time all season. They are as nocturnal as they get right now. Hunting during a full moon is a waste if you aren't in thick cover.

I sat Fri & Sat afternoon this past weekend, did not hear a single shot.

breaking news. 1) no emergency hunts this year 2) next year you will have to designate private or public land for your free antlerless tag when buying your bow or gun license 3) The DNR is very aware of camps in each farmland zone that always knock down many doe and did not this year due to the $12 tag fee 4) The DNR is very aware of all the youth doe tags being filled by gun party hunting adults and that will cease next year.
Thanks for the info NoFo. 1) at least they considered it and it was on table in areas that could have used it. 2) This was pretty much set from the beginning and anything otherwise would have been a surprise. 3) Not really sure what they will do about this, other than lower the fee(in which, by doing so they admit they made a mistake) or maybe try to convince more landowners to jump into the DMAP program to get those reduced rate tags? 4) I truly hope you are correct on this one NoFo, it is the right thing to do for the good of the deer herd in WI(and the public land hunters who have a hard time seeing and harvesting a deer).

I have a couple pretty nice bucks that keep going through the woods under the cover of darkness. Last night I saw a few does moving earlier and a small buck with a doe. I also saw a fat lady starting to sing as my season may be over. *sigh

Wonder if it will pay to sit over a farm field this weekend.