WI - acorn shortage - concerned about turkeys, deer, etc

Rena

Buck Fawn
Hi! My folks live in a wooded area in Pierce County and enjoy watching a variety of animals. With the lack of acorns this year, there is concern over the wellbeing of some of the animals who depend upon acorns for winter food. Deer, turkeys, squirrels, pheasants, etc. . . My mom is wondering about putting out some supplemental food occasionally over winter to help offset the lack of acorns. Certainly don't want them to become dependent upon this food source, but don't want them to suffer or become disease-ridden as a result of this. There is significant forestation and it's been left wild, so there are some food sources. Would there be some food that could be provided as a supplement on a periodic basis that would help to offset the acorn shortage, without making them dependent on it long-term?

I'll second cutting cedar or any hardwood.
They'll browse the tops of most trees.

With as dry as it was this year we had almost no acorns or hickory nuts this fall. I run feeders here year round and my brassica and clover plots really did well and those are helping fill the some of the void left by the barren mast crops.

Even with the lack of mast the fox squirrels in my woods are just flat out obese, they look pre-diabetic even their faces are fat. I wish I had some grandkids to worry a few of them.

Don't start and stop feeding during winter. Either feed all winter long or not at all.

With the 'significant forestation' nearby the deer will likely be good. Worst case the does are having singles instead of triples, but most likely be twins anyways.

The pheasant or turkeys would likely see the most benefits. If you choose to feed them try to do so in a way that the deer don't get much feed.

When they buy some bales of alfalfa for their Joseph and Mary manger decoration, get some extras and 'store them' out near the woods.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Last spring I was visiting with a retires state forester who still does consultant work.

He remarked that turkeys are like vacuum cleaners in the woods and he worried about their affects on other wildlife during low acorn years as well as on forest regeneration. . As many of you know, I am not a turkey fan and they are not native to our area.

Last spring I was visiting with a retires state forester who still does consultant work.

He remarked that turkeys are like vacuum cleaners in the woods and he worried about their affects on other wildlife during low acorn years as well as on forest regeneration. . As many of you know, I am not a turkey fan and they are not native to our area.
You are winning me over on this. I like hunting them but they reeked havoc on my plots this year. Ever time I would try over seeding they would sit there and eat all the seed. I won't wage war on them but they need to leave my seed alone. I even left a patch of buckwheat for them and of coarse they didn't touch that seed.
On feeding deer, don't do it. Way more harm than good could come from it.

chummer, are turkeys native to your area?

When I broadcast oats and rye, they clean up on them.

chummer, are turkeys native to your area?

When I broadcast oats and rye, they clean up on them.
They are. We never have a lot of them due to our winters. There is usually only a couple hens around but this spring they had perfect conditions and those couple hens turned into a flock of 30! It is fasanacting to watch the deer and turkey numbers in my area. Hunting has very little effect on either. Thier numbers rise and fall with the severity of winter. There are not enough hunters or tags to compete with Mother Nature.

Cut trees so they can browse the tops. Heard corn can kill them because there stomach does not adapt to change in diet quickly...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Chummer has 6-8' of snow on the ground. Ice may not be a factor at that point.
The way this winter is starting we will be back to a couple turkeys next near. We got pounded in November. Couple feet so far this month and the rest of this week they are calling for feet of snow. No guess, just feet of snow.

Agree with above comments on dropping a few trees for browse. If you have some red maples or aspen or some other low-value trees, drop them and let your oaks alone. When we logged at our camp, the deer found the tree tops the same night we dropped them and bedded down right in them so feed was right there, easy to get !! Natural food, more sunlight on the ground next spring - all good.

If you are in Pierce County chances are that there is a food source within a mile. They may leave your area to go find food but typically they will be fine. They may go hole up behind a barn or farmhouse and eat stored hay all winter.
If you do feed I believe I was told that oats are easier for them to digest than corn. There is something in corn that a straight all corn diet does more harm than good.

Not to promote feeding deer, but a bale or two of hay helps them out as well. I see them in with cows hanging back, and eating the hay often.