Why were deer numbers so low pre 1990’s

In our county(Sauk) you most certainly got a buck tag for every doe you shot. I knew guys who had 6+ buck tags every year.

In our county(Sauk) you most certainly got a buck tag for every doe you shot. I knew guys who had 6+ buck tags every year.

That would mean that you would need to be able to buy more than 1 buck tag per weapon which I do not think is possible. Limit I believe is 1 per bow and 1 per gun. I know some who buy deer hunting licenses for their wife or kids who don't hunt.

Not sure if you recall, but you didn't get a buck tag for every doe you shot. You had to shoot at least 1 doe to validate your buck tag, still only 1 buck per weapon.

I must be misremembering then. I remember I shot 2 dow one year, and getting 2 buck tags for them. Maybe we put someone else's tag on 1, not sure how.

I must be misremembering then. I remember I shot 2 dow one year, and getting 2 buck tags for them. Maybe we put someone else's tag on 1, not sure how.
You are correct. It was the "bonus buck" rule. In the Southern Farmland Zone you received a buck sticker for each antlerless deer you shot. The sticker could be affixed to an unused antlerless tag allowing you to harvest another buck. You were only limited by the amount of antlerless tags you had.

You are correct. It was the "bonus buck" rule. In the Southern Farmland Zone you received a buck sticker for each antlerless deer you shot. The sticker could be affixed to an unused antlerless tag allowing you to harvest another buck. You were only limited by the amount of antlerless tags you had.
That's more in line with what I remember, but my memory is really good. Just short

I always thought of it like compounding interest and carrying capacity. Starts slow then explodes till you get to carrying capacity.

But, also consider across much of the country, there is now an “unexplained”decline in fawn recruitment. We are seeing it in my home state - and our state biologists acknowledge it - yet bag limits and season length are unchained. In fact, several new seasons have been put in place

But, also consider across much of the country, there is now an “unexplained”decline in fawn recruitment. We are seeing it in my home state - and our state biologists acknowledge it - yet bag limits and season length are unchained. In fact, several new seasons have been put in place
Some in the north country are worried about neospora. Perhaps part of the issue with fawn recruitment besides predators.

Yep, now i remember that.

Minnesota has too many bears currently. How many fawns does a bear get per year? Then there's wolves and coyotes. I can take 1 deer of either sex again this year. Wasn't that long ago we could take 5 per hunter. This year rifle season starts 1 week later than normal for some reason. We'll see if that makes any difference at all in what gets harvested.

Minnesota has too many bears currently. How many fawns does a bear get per year? Then there's wolves and coyotes. I can take 1 deer of either sex again this year. Wasn't that long ago we could take 5 per hunter. This year rifle season starts 1 week later than normal for some reason. We'll see if that makes any difference at all in what gets harvested.
I don't think it's a week later than normal, it's just how the yearly cycle fell and this is the latest start date possible.

To my knowledge there wasn't anything voted on to change season structure.

I don't think it's a week later than normal, it's just how the yearly cycle fell and this is the latest start date possible.

To my knowledge there wasn't anything voted on to change season structure.
That very well could be. Last day to hunt here is the 24th and yeah, I guess I have been able to hunt on the 24th in past years.

That very well could be. Last day to hunt here is the 24th and yeah, I guess I have been able to hunt on the 24th in past years.
To your earlier point though, the last time the dates were this late, there was outcry from hunters about the lack of movement. The harvest was also extremely low that year, I believe.

*MN deer season is open through December 31st

Latest possible gun opener in Wisconsin is this year. Happens every 6 years or so and as mentioned above harvest is typically way down.

phytoestrogens

Do you have any online links to research specific to deer?
I don't think it's been studied specifically in deer. But, it has in other animals including ruminate. Here's one study that looks at research pertaining to multiple species.
I'm not saying I think that's a cause, but it could possibly explain it. But, there could be many others that aren't known or even considered.

I don't think it's been studied specifically in deer. But, it has in other animals including ruminate. Here's one study that looks at research pertaining to multiple species.
I'm not saying I think that's a cause, but it could possibly explain it. But, there could be many others that aren't known or even considered.
I did read about it and looked like a real possibility