Who uses a grapple on a tractor?

Mista Paacha

5 year old buck +
I'm buying a Lackender 72" standard duty grapple for my Kioti DK5010 tractor. I have lots of uses for one around my farm. I can see where a grapple would work far better on a skidsteer....but I just bought my tractor. I have a spare hyd output on the back that the grapple top cyl will be plumbed to. The small controls however are behind the 3 point lever and kinda akward to handle. Both the loader controls and the third control are all on the right. I'll have to stop to run the clamp on the grapple.

The implement shop has a "third" solenoid they can add for another $1000 that would switch my loader controls from bucket tilt to grapple clamp depending on switch position. that seems better.

I haven't run either of these. Anyone with first hand experience they can share will be appreciated.

I have run a grapple on a LARGE 150 hp tractor, and controls were simple and east reach(right hand too) it worked great, but doubt this is the same as for you

if you can work it comfortably or only need once ina great while, you can maybe live with it as is
if you plan to do a bunch of work with it, maybe worth having converted to a more user friendly set up, frustration sets in fast when your working a LOT harder than needed trying to get crap done!
comes down to what its worth to you

on smaller tractors just be safe when traveling with a load on as it does place weight out front and can make tipping over happen, both off camber angles of terrain and or just down hills, smooth driving is what you want and for thought to where its going!

I added the third function to my loader control to run a grapple. I use mine to pick up logs for firewood and generally move wood around.

IMG_4794.JPG

that thing is sexy. There, I said what we're all thinking

I have run a grapple on a LARGE 150 hp tractor, and controls were simple and east reach(right hand too) it worked great, but doubt this is the same as for you

if you can work it comfortably or only need once ina great while, you can maybe live with it as is
if you plan to do a bunch of work with it, maybe worth having converted to a more user friendly set up, frustration sets in fast when your working a LOT harder than needed trying to get crap done!
comes down to what its worth to you

on smaller tractors just be safe when traveling with a load on as it does place weight out front and can make tipping over happen, both off camber angles of terrain and or just down hills, smooth driving is what you want and for thought to where its going!

I added 400lbs of beet juice to each rear tire when I bought the tractor.

that will help, but when on off camber ground and a lifted load, it can still get tricky, just be safe

Grapple is my most used implement.

My 3rd function was closer to $400 installed, but I did all the plumbing/wiring aside from modifying the stock hoses to integrate into my diverter valve (had the local shop crimp on 4 fittings in the stock curl hoses).

I then added a Hurst shifter to gain the thumb button I wanted.
SAM_0058.JPG
20150425_150742.jpg

20161113_153210.jpg

Very nice.

I decided to go with the third function. I'll be picking up my tractor next week with the grapple. Can't wait to get to work.

Finally got my tractor and grapple back and put to work.

uU9VGXC.jpg

cKTUWd9.jpg

7QrsHnK.jpg

Dang that looks nice. When I get my tractor I will be getting a grapple for sure.

Finally got my tractor and grapple back and put to work.

uU9VGXC.jpg

cKTUWd9.jpg

7QrsHnK.jpg

That looks awesome. I added a grapple and third function valve to my old tractor, and absolutely love it. It added a little weight to the bucket but I don’t notice the weight when lifting things with the loader at all. I reinforced the bucket with 5” channel and welded it to the top of the bucket. I then installed the grapple on that. I bought “The Thumb” grapple. It works awesome. I added teeth to the bucket that I bought off amazon and welded those on also. My switch for alternating the hydraulic line is a simple waterproof dirt bike kill switch I mounted on the loader lever. I think it’s OEM KTM. I just hold the switch on and push/pull the lever to provide clamping or open pressure. I won’t have a single bucket without one for the rest of my life.

The help to your back that a grapple saves is immeasurable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice bring it to my place so you can practice.

I have a root rake with the grapple third function on the hydraulic lever. I have cleared a lot of brush and moved a lot of of logs with it has been very handy

Attachments

• 23D71E9C-B4E0-4A89-A83F-640825741E36.jpeg
    23D71E9C-B4E0-4A89-A83F-640825741E36.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 0FABB72A-60BE-4C62-B571-B553DE24838F.jpeg
    0FABB72A-60BE-4C62-B571-B553DE24838F.jpeg
    212.1 KB · Views: 30
I have a grapple on my Deere 5420 which closes down on the standard bucket. VERY handy - use it a lot to pick up cut trees, logs, brush, poles, rocks, etc. Probably ill advised but have been lifted in the bucket while supported by the grapple bars.

I have a root rake with the grapple third function on the hydraulic lever. I have cleared a lot of brush and moved a lot of of logs with it has been very handy

What is diffent with the root rake from a standard grapple and why do you like it better?

A root rake has teeth that ride a few inches in the ground which helps in removing brush by grabbing it at the root. I have used mine to remove 5 year oil pine stumps and it worked very well at that to plus with the grapple I have no problem picking up logs and moving them