Who are you?

I came from the old qdma forum.

Missed it so much I recreated it, minus all the great information.

Feel free to check it out at http://QualityWildlifeManagement.com need contributions to become as good as the old website.

Hello everyone. I am a resident of NW Wiscconsin now for almost five years where I work as a project engineer. I am Originally from the west side of MI. I currently own and live on 120 acres and have been doing habitat work and food plots for the past three years. Learned a ton of info in the time I was on the old forum and look forward to the time I will spend here. Best of luck to everyone's hunting and plotting season this fall!

We are close John, I live in E.C. The farm is in that one county to the south that everyone thinks has a 150"+ behind every tree...

Glad I don't have the rocks that you do though!

There are couple of us in the EC area here and just South.

Sounds like a meet 'n greet is in order. I like beer...

Back when most of us were on the (other site), I hosted a meet and greet yearly in the Iola/Wittenberg, Wisconsin area the 2nd Saturday night of November. Heck we even had door prizes as I had a few connections in the seed industry.
Thanks again Missouri Buck Hunter and Northwoods seed.

Hi everyone, mine name is Jared, JP14. I'm novice on habitat improvements but I've been following forums for years. I don't own any property but the family farm has areas in which improvements can be made. Most in my family are new to archery hunting over the past 6yrs. Prior to that it was mostly waterfowl and rifle hunting. Archery hunting has changed our perception of the land, and with another generation of hunters getting close we've realized we need to improve what we have so that we can all enjoy it.

Our farm is located in NE SD in the glacial lakes prairie pothole region and is mostly ag production and pasture lands. We've located areas of minimal production with current use by deer that can be improved by adding additional browse and thermal protection.

I enjoy the habitat work as a break from my everyday job, and enjoy the gratification that comes with knowing I was active in the improvements from starting trees from seeds to cuttings. I am a novice currently with both, and that's why I'm here is to learn from those who have the same passion as me and hopefully someday pass my experience along to others on this forum as well as my kids.

Back when most of us were on the (other site), I hosted a meet and greet yearly in the Iola/Wittenberg, Wisconsin area the 2nd Saturday night of November. Heck we even had door prizes as I had a few connections in the seed industry.
Thanks again Missouri Buck Hunter and Northwoods seed.

I remember that! How long ago was that?

3 years this November.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

3 years this November.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Wow, time goes by fast!

Been lurking on food plot forums for a while. When the Old Forums shut down I found this one. Time to join a food plot forum I guess. I am kind of excited about this fall as I finally have a spot where I can do a plot deep in the timber. Due to some logging on a farm I own, a nice opportunity has opened up (literally) to put in a nice 100'x100' food plot with logging roads leading into it. Lime is down, the first round of fertilizer is down, and the canopy is opened up. Intending to disc it up in a couple of weeks and plant some oats, rape, turnips, and chicory. Hang a stand and keep my fingers crossed for some rain. I don't have huge expectations the first year, but it should be a good little plot to experiment with over the coming years.

Derek. Steuben County in northeast Indiana. I am a bow hunter with two daughters that are ate up with bow hunting as well.
Welcome from one Hoosier to another......I mean, Howdy! Steuben county....one of the top deer counties in the state on a perennial basis as far as harvest numbers go. I look forward to seeing you around.

I am 57 and an avid archery hunter. My wife and I own a 120 acre farm in MO, called Habitat for Wildlife Farm. This was my handle on QDMA forums. Headed to the farm later today for the long weekend to plant my final 2 acres for fall/winter. Nice to read your posts!

I'm new to the forum as of just now. I'm 55 years old and have hunted my entire adult life. After threatening to buy a piece of land for the last decade I finally pulled the trigger a couple of months ago. With four kids in college funds have been tight but my wife and I planned well so the timing was finally right. Our kids are all athletes so there was never time for them to get involved in other pursuits but with their college careers winding down two of the three boys have finally gotten the outdoors bug so it's been a fun summer "working on the Island". The Island is just under 40 acres in Crawford County, Mo. I'm a goal setter by nature and owning my own property has been something that was always "Someday I'll" own my own land. So the name "Someday Isle" just kind of took shape. Rather than going to the property, or going to the farm, we go to The Island. I followed what you guys call the old forum for probably five years and planned on joining when I had my own place. That forum closed down right when I was about to join so I just gravitated here. I'll be reading and learning.

Hello. New member here. Often I would tour the "other forum", but never felt like joining.

I'm semi-retired from farming, due to health issues. I still manage our property, renting some out. Most of my farming is plotting and habitate improvement. We've got close to 500 acres, 200+ is cropland. The rest is bush and old pasture/marginal land. The non-crop land is what I'm playing with.

Welcome aboard Islandguy!

Another newbie here. I'm 54 and finally own my own land as of the winter of 2015. I bought 90 acres and a cabin in the UP of MI while I live north of Milwaukee, WI. They are 3.5hrs apart. My land is lowland, mostly cedar swamp with limited highland spots. It was only cut 1 time, probably 50 years ago. There are a lot of stunted cedars on this land and not a lot of merchantable trees. Very few openings. You get what you pay for. The price was low for a reason, but I do own it outright.

My son and I have busted butt for 2 summers now. I threatened a For Sale sign many time on the land I have named The Dump, but we're now having a better relationship. We took 2 bucks off the land bowhunting last year, so that helped us after a miserable 2015 of work with issues I could write a book about. This spring/summer has been good as I established 4 foot plots with 3 being around 1/4 acre kill plots and the other being around an acre. We did some trail improvements too allowing us to get around The Dump better now which was a huge issue last year.

When I bought the land, I lurked on QDMA and then found this site and obviously joined and have been asking loads of questions. There are some really knowledgeable people here (and on QDMA) who don't belittle others when they ask questions and I appreciate that. I have learned a lot in short order and it has already paid off for me.

My goals for 2017 are to expand the plots I have, continue to improve the soils, and start getting some fruit trees established. Yes, I've been a PITA in the Fruit Trees forum :).

Thanks to everyone who has helped me to date. I look forward to the day I can pay it forward.

Welcome Mojo... I'd love to see pictures of your property =)

Formerly 'DSD' here at Habitat-talk. Thanks Bill for changing the handle. 'Jameson' was a name I had used on some other forums, and also the name of one of my dogs. When Habit-talk 1.0 was starting my dog was not going to last long, and I didn't want to be reminded of him every time I logged in here. Time has passed and now 'DSD' just doesn't seem right.

Also, just a guy livin in the suburbs of the Twin Cities with no hunting land to call his own right now. With the dogs gone the deer have invaded my postage stamp yard munching on the shrubs and garden. Got my first 4 apples this year from a tree I grafted with the help of the knowledge shared from the forums. Thanks