All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which is likely to bear first

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I am rind grafting the following scion's onto the trunks (each about 3' tall} of trees that are 10-12 years old. They are the trees that I cut off at the first row of laterals last year to try and save other trees in the orchard during my war with Fireblight.

Out of this list of varieties which do you think will bear fruit first and which do you think will bear fruit last. I did some research on the vigor of each variety and have most of these varieties already but I really am looking for the ones that should produce fruit the soonest because I need it in these areas on the farm.

Goldrush, Galarina, Enterprise, Arkansas Black, King David, Black Twig, Swaar, Keepsake, Roxbury Russet, and Wincrisp. IF there are any of these varieties that you would recommend staying away from, let me know. I always like advise. I don't always take all of it, but realize the more advise you have the more likely you will get good advise if that makes sense.

My winecrisp and goldrush get CAR pretty bad. Winecrisp worse than goldrush, but it doesnt really impact the quality of the fruit on the goldrush. My winecrisp is not producing yet.

I lost a Roxbury on b.118 in it's 3rd year, i think it was the harsh winter that got it.

I've got (3) enterprise going into their 5th leaf on b.118 that haven't produced yet, they have been decent growers but not great. Hoping this year is the year. Galarina has been a very good grower for me even on m111. I saw 1 fruit on my 5th leaf galarina tree last year but it was gone about a month after i first saw it, something snatched it. This year should be a good year for that tree.

Here's my winecrisp tree, august 2014. Personally not a huge fan of this tree but i'll probably see how the fruit turns out before i make any changes.
image20140830081904291.jpg

Last edited:
I had fruit on Goldrush on antonovka the first year I planted from Cummins. Enterprise 2nd year.

I have a Winecrisp on b.118. As Ed mentions it gets CAR, but I had to snick 40+ apples off of it last year in it's third leaf after arriving from Cummins.