Where to buy chemicals for buckthorn?

wisconsinteacher

5 year old buck +
I need to buy chemicals for killing buckthorn and ironwood. Where is the best place to buy it in NW Wisconsin? I'm looking for Garlon 4 and the dye for it. I'm a complete rookie on this stuff and I think this is what I need.

What is your ratio and do you add the blue dye?

I recently got 7.5 gallons from here. Best price I could find + free shipping.

I pour it with some diesel + Blue dye in one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009KM29S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 [Edit: these sprayer cans do not last long with diesel] And I've been cutting and spraying buckthorn stumps like crazy. That little hand sprayer is nice to just have with when i'm doing TSI/hinge cutting and stump spraying all the buckthorn at the same time. Might want something with a bit more capacity on a serious buckthorn specific mission but one of those little cans will cover a lot of stumps. I think I've been doing 15-20% triclopyr 80-85% diesel but I'd read the label before listening to me.

Once my home 5 acres gets forestry mulched i'll probably have to use the atv strayer to attack all the regen..

Last edited:
I called Keystone Pest Solutions and they recommended Relegate. He said it is almost identical to Garlon 4.

I know the dye is not needed, I was just thinking it would be helpful when working on a bigger area.

I called Keystone Pest Solutions and they recommended Relegate. He said it is almost identical to Garlon 4.

I know the dye is not needed, I was just thinking it would be helpful when working on a bigger area.

The dye is cheap, a little goes a long ways and if you cut a bunch before you spray it's worth it to make sure you hit them all.

I don’t often use diesel and herbicide but when I do I usually use 20% herbicide to diesel so 4 gallons of diesel to 1 gallon of Remedy Ultra herbicide and I have a 5 gallon can of it. Works great for basel treatment of Osage Orange. Ironwood or Eastern Hop Hornbeam is great for grouse they have a real affinity for the seeds. I’ve shot many a grouse out of large old Ironwood trees loaded with the seeds.

Use ratio of Diesel to Garlon 3:1. Add 2-3 drops of blue dye. I use empty dish soap bottles as they are better to control than spraying.
We used the empty soap bottles this winter on buckthorn and they worked great. 4:1 mix of diesel to remedy ultra. One gallon of remedy goes a long ways.

I bought one of those sprayers and never used it. I've read that diesel is hard on them and they are best used with a bark oil instead, but I can't confirm that.

We used the empty soap bottles this winter on buckthorn and they worked great. 4:1 mix of diesel to remedy ultra. One gallon of remedy goes a long ways.

I bought one of those sprayers and never used it. I've read that diesel is hard on them and they are best used with a bark oil instead, but I can't confirm that.

Hard in summer, even harder in winter because viscosity increases.

buckthorn herbicide applicator ... you could use any desired herbicide mix.

Buckthorn Blaster

order kit

buckthorn-blaster-applicator.jpgBB-stump.jpg

Last edited:
I recently got 7.5 gallons from here. Best price I could find + free shipping.

I pour it with some diesel + Blue dye in one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009KM29S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 And I've been cutting and spraying buckthorn stumps like crazy. That little hand sprayer is nice to just have with when i'm doing TSI/hinge cutting and stump spraying all the buckthorn at the same time. Might want something with a bit more capacity on a serious buckthorn specific mission but one of those little cans will cover a lot of stumps. I think I've been doing 15-20% triclopyr 80-85% diesel but I'd read the label before listening to me.

Once my home 5 acres gets forestry mulched i'll probably have to use the atv strayer to attack all the regen..

Can now confirm that those sprayers dont make it a year with diesel/herbicide mix.

I can’t speak for ironwood but you don’t need anything but a solution of water and glyphosate for Buckthorn. Target the Buckthorn with berries first.

I use 41% glyphosate and a spray bottle. You don’t need a crazy amount. For a 16 ounce spray bottle I might use 4 ounces of glyphosate and the rest in water. I find it works better in the fall when the tree is pulling nutrients back down to the roots. I usually kill buckthorn December thru March. I have done it two ways. Cut the tree down and treat the stump or hack n squirt. I have killed 10s of thousands of buckthorn this way.

One thing about Buckthorn is that it is very prolific at sprouting. So in areas you want thicker cover if you find Buckthorn without berries you can hinge cut it over near ground level and it will send up a million suckers.

Can now confirm that those sprayers dont make it a year with diesel/herbicide mix.

I could not find a sprayer that would last or even work. Use an old dish soap bottle and just dribble on the trunk.

Last edited:

I like this. Ready to use. Can find cheap sometimes for about 14/bottle. No mixing. Just open squirt bottle

This could also be used for a basil bark application. Cover from the ground to about 12 inches up 360° around the tree. Only takes a very little amount to do this.

Last edited:
I need to buy chemicals for killing buckthorn and ironwood. Where is the best place to buy it in NW Wisconsin? I'm looking for Garlon 4 and the dye for it. I'm a complete rookie on this stuff and I think this is what I need.
I also like spike 20p pellets. You can throw about five pellets right Around the base of a tree you wanna kill. The tree will die over the course of 1 to 2 years. It will dry rot Where standing and then just kind of dissolve to the ground.

Don’t use on sloped ground where the pellets can migrate. Also I would not use it around trees you have planted or around highly desirable species.

Really good where you have an invasive group of trees that have popped up. You can sprinkle that area with spike 20 P and sit back and watch them die.

If used in small to moderate amounts it will allow native grasses to pop up in the area. Some use for native land restoration. At higher levels it is a soil sterilant And will inhibit all plant growth, such as down fence lines or around buildings.