All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where does everyone buy their RootMakers?

stumpy

Buck Fawn
I would like to try and start some oak trees in RootMakers this year. Where does everyone purchase theirs? I have been looking at the RootMaker Express 18s. Is this what everyone would recommend for starting oaks?

Thanks

John at Bigrocktrees is a great place to start. That is where I bought my first few containers when I first started experimenting to see what I wanted. Once I decided that rootmaker was the way to go for my application, I opened a wholesale account directly with rootmaker to buy containers in volume.

Keep in mind that rootmaker is a root pruning system. You sacrifice the tap root which ensures access to water during drought for a faster growing tree with a much faster more developed root system with more terminal roots sooner. For this to work, there are several keys. First, the root system needs to be large enough when planted in the field. Second, water needs to be available during critical times until the tree is established. There are lots of advantages to this method but it is important to know the limitations. It works great in my area but I would not recommend it for arid regions.

If you think you can start an oak (or most any tree) in an 18 and plant it from there, you will likely be disappointed. While the root system coming from an 18 is very well developed with lots of terminal roots, the total volume of the root system is small. While it may be efficient, it can only use nutrients it can reach. I would characterize my experience planting directly from 18s as poor. Many trees die, some survive, but very few thrive. When transplanted to 1 gal RB2s after 12-18 weeks and kept there for 1 growing season and planted in the fall, I would characterize my experience as very good. Few if any trees die, and many thrive. When I do 2 transplants, from 18s to 1 gal RB2s and then again in to 3 gal RB2s, I'd characterize my experience as excellent. All trees survive and most thrive.

A few notes:

1) I start my trees from nuts indoors in the winter under lights.
2) I live in an area with ample spring and fall rain. Summers can be hot and dry. Zone 7a
3) I don't provide any of my trees supplemental water after planting. Once planted and protected, they are on their own. No fertilizer or babying.
4) I do protect my tress with tubes or fencing depending on the tree. I also use landscaping material covered with quarry stone to keep weeds down around the tree.

Thanks,

Jack

Last edited:
john at bigrock! great guy. he cares. plus the 'paul trees' get me a little teary as ive lost 2 other close friends to ALS