When are we going to start talking about habitat again?

What's the best MN habitat type for increasing deer numbers and holding them on your propert? Prairie, conifer or hardwood forests, farmland, woods with plots?

Brush, we had tons but lost most of it with the new crp regs.

With the lack of habitat talk happening here this winter I've been reading this book.

IMG_20150214_170209_734.jpg

Are you going to hunt it? I don't like going deep anymore but maybe a couple sits a year. Does the spot have good hunter access?
Same here, I have a plot that I just put in but, access is a pain. I figure, just have it there doing it's thing and probably never hunt it, I'm not even putting a camera there.

What brand is it, does it pull very hard? Doesn't look like super sandy soil either.

It is a Roth-Loyal. Yes it pulls fairly easy. I plant about 6 acres per year with it.

chummer-I would buy a bag of medium red clover and alsike. I would put the alsike in the wet spots and cover the length of all of those logger trails with clover.

The medium red will die out in a year or two and you can leave them as dead spots for deer if you wish. Then you can make decisions about access and such after a year or two of hunting/observing the property.

Might just as well get clvoer down while the ground is bare.

dipper- deer numbers are so important to some of us that habitat has taken a back seat. We need to do the best we can on the deer issue thing for the next month or so or we will be suffering for the next ten years.

it is hard to understand when you are not in the middle of it.

Last weekend I had the big idea to mow our corn because we have very little snow cover and the corn is all gone. So my hunting buddy and I had big plans for today. Then mother nature showed up. -25+wind chills...We decided not to mow!

Instead I took my bow to the local pro shop and had it turned down as far as it will go. I shot almost 75 arrows today!!!!! That is about 60 more than I've shot in the last 3 years combined. (I ended up having shoulder surgery last February).

It went so well, we shot 2 rounds of video archery. Talk about fun!

-John

I am building an inclosed stand in my garage right now. If we get a foot of snow this year I can bring a space heater out and sit all day.

It is not habitat related but at least it isn't DNR bashing. On a side note, my wife has two good friends who work for the DNR. One played a role in getting the wolf season off the ground. I have been told not to talk work with them much anymore.

They don't make the Loyal Roth anymore so you will have to find used. I got one of the last ones and love it. Tears up my clay good. Works great.

IMG_4753_zps4f8af58d.jpg

IMG_4758_zpscc45d62c.jpg

Burning brush piles tomorrow at the new farm! Suppose to be tolerable (High of 8 degrees) for burning at least.

Put in an order yesterday at SherrillTree, free shipping for orders >$100. Hoping to start pruning fruit trees in a few weeks

Order Summary:

33602**Lowe/5 Straight (pointed) Blade Anvil Pruner, for S-L hands $39.95
270-33ZUBAT 330mm Large Teeth Silky Handsaw w Scabbard $74.95

good day to do it st croix. I always put together a veggie pack in foil, yum yum!

BJE80 - do you just rifle hunt that plot? Most of my plots are starting to have some major deterents for random entry and exit. Seems if the deer can enter from anywhere they enter from anywhere. Ever consider blockading to make them abandon entry/exit on 2 sides or similar to make stand choices safer?

Roth/Loyal ATV disk are great. I have one and love it. Not the best pic but it's all I have.

The Tarter disk could be a twin to the Roth. I got mine 3 years ago and paid $1100 for it.

Nice looking equipment does anyone know or would share todays cost for something similar new ?

I have a buddy who has a sod buster he was talking about selling in Monticello if you want me to ask him. Hwy towable. What are you going to pulsodbuster.jpg l it with? They need a good sized machine.

I really like my tartar with the cultipacker. I can put the boy to work now. It does a nice job.image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Watch out the little guy doesn't fall off and get hurt.