What's wrong with my Elderberries?

gstrom99

Yearling... With promise
I bought these three cuttings a couple months ago. I transplanted them and kept 'em at home to get them going well before putting them out there "on their own" at my property. One is doing "fair" and the other two are not well at all. I sent these pics to the place where I bought 'em and have no reply. Figures... My daughter says I'm over watering.

What do ya'll think? June 2014 002.jpg June 2014 003.jpg

I have zero experience with cuttings, but I have purchased bare root Elderberries the last two years. Generally Elderberries are fine with wet feet, the ones I planted have it harder since they are planted in a sandy soil with direct sun. It's hard to tell if yours are over watered, I would let them dry out well between watering. Have you added any nutrients to the soil. I normally mix manure with my soil mix and then add Osmocote fertilizer after about six weeks in the grow pot.

Best of luck!

From what I've seen, that's what elderberry cuttings do, they shoot out an die. I've planted 100s of elderberry cuttings and only a few make it. Elderberry grows like weed, I just trnasplant mine now. I actually have too many growing behind my house, they are really aggresive.

Elderberry have zero anaerobic tolerance, meaning they need LOTS of oxygen to grow roots.

Make sure those pots can drain out completely after watering (maybe even remove the bottom tray off of them).

What type of media did you plant them in? They do best with a very light mix, something that doesn't hold water well.

You didn't buy them from us did you? (we reply to all emails!)

-John

I planted 25 bareroot elderberry last spring, none of them lived... I was pretty disappointed. The forester made it sound like the grow like weeds and are easy to get going. I had total failure..... :(

I'm increasing reluctant to plant much from nurseries that are south of us. My experience with Morse has not been good for hardiness with the oaks and some of the crab apples.

I've planted a good number of elderberries from MDC and have had good success. The ones I did lose I lost during their first year and I contribute that to lack of water and grass competition.

Elderberry have zero anaerobic tolerance, meaning they need LOTS of oxygen to grow roots.

Make sure those pots can drain out completely after watering (maybe even remove the bottom tray off of them).

What type of media did you plant them in? They do best with a very light mix, something that doesn't hold water well.

You didn't buy them from us did you? (we reply to all emails!)

-John
No, I didn't buy 'em from you. The one in the middle has lost all it's leaves, but now has sprouted NEW GROWTH, for a shooter under the dirt. I have them in cheap potting soil, mixed with real dirt. I'll take the trays away and try and let 'em dry out but with this spring (huge rains here) nothing will dry out 'til August.

plants2.JPG
Update. The upper leaves are still rolled up and looking pxss poor, but two have sprouted shoots up from below. Maybe there's hope yet.

Last edited:
kind of looks like they shot up before they had enough root support and re sprouted from the ground now that the roots have made progress.

I planted 50 3 footers from Cold Stream this spring. 48 have leafed out and are growing.