What's in your pack

Funniest thing i ever saw was when a buddy of mine shot a doe and used the butt out. Turned out he did not have a good grasp of anatomy........

Funniest thing i ever saw was when a buddy of mine shot a doe and used the butt out. Turned out he did not have a good grasp of anatomy........
Must admit I did this once gutting in the dark. It took me a minute to figure out something wasn’t right.

Lol.. we were watching and noticed the error of his way , but being the great friends we are we just let him learn on his own!

Remembering back around the year 1970, we would head out to hunt about a half hour before fist light, still hunt all day and return just after dark. There were over thirty of us in camp and one guy, Rudy carried a pack. That pack was the curiosity of the camp all week. WE were amazed that Rudy carried that pack every day and all day which was full of every hunting gadget imaginable. The rest of us, Pack-less hunters put our shells and jack knife in our pocket and our one sandwich tucked under our outside wool shirt. Compasses were mostly pin on types. Fast forward to 2021 and many of us not only carry packs but the packs are much larger now and even have a pocket for each gadget. It makes we wonder; Were we wrong then not to carry a pack full of "essentials "or are we wrong now that we do carry one?

I wonder about that from time to time, but then I think about how now I can comfortably sit in the 20s where I used to freeze my butt off in the 30s because of the better, albeit much more expensive clothes. The ridiculous track job I would have never been able to make if not for being able to track blood spots with GPS. The tree strap that saved me from serious injury or death (I don't know which is worse for me, or my family) seconds after I clipped my harness into it when I lost my footing , and the bow holder I grabbed to steady myself broke off in my hand.

I also think about the winch my father in law installed on his ATV that helps him recover deer now that he's 70, and has survived cancer twice. The crossbow that allows him to continue archery hunting, and the UTV I bought so I can help maintain the property, and make sure my dad who nearly died two years ago due to a blood clot can ride safely to his stand/blind as well.

There are some things I draw the line at like cell cameras to try and time the hunt, but that's strictly a personal choice. As for the rest, give me the technology. Deer still have the upper hand.

I know one thing, we have a lot of money in those packs. Years ago when I just carried a Fanny pack I had it stolen while setting up another stand. It was amazing the cost replacement of the few items I had in It. I would hate to lose my pack these days.
I have most items already mentioned and for sure the food. No butt plug/ puller for me, just takes seconds w the knife but to each their own. I have visions of a cartoon I once saw w a bear standing over a hunter he had laid face down over a log and saying” so you want some bear meat do you? “ !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know one thing, we have a lot of money in those packs. Years ago when I just carried a Fanny pack I had it stolen while setting up another stand. It was amazing the cost replacement of the few items I had in It. I would hate to lose my pack these days.
I have most items already mentioned and for sure the food. No butt plug/ puller for me, just takes seconds w the knife but to each their own. I have visions of a cartoon I once saw w a bear standing over a hunter he had laid face down over a log and saying” so you want some bear meat do you? “ !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i remember going out when i was younger and all i had was a thermos of coffee, which i hated and maybe a little debbie snack A snack not snacks. and that was all you got for the day. there were a lot of naps 15 feet up with no harness sometimes not even a seat. i carved my initials in many a poor tree

I'm in the travel very light group, no pack I don't even carry knife on me. Furthest walk I have to a stand is 400 yards and it's an easy walk. Everything I need is in the truck close by knife/flashlight/water/snacks/TP/tools/xtra clothes/hatchet/saw. Bow hunting I dress for the weather and carry bow/quiver/release/cell phone. I'm kind of ADD anyway so I'm not sitting all day maybe a few hours in morning and four max evenings if I go out twice in a day.
If weather is bad during gun I'm in the shooting hut and it is stocked with everything I could need, in the hut I can sit all day.

Less and less each year. Used to carry more, but now I lean more toward the [Last of the] Mohican "Indian war party - moving fast" mentality.. :emoji_runner:

Sitka Tool Box:

- Tree Attachment for Harness
- Milkweed (Thank you Swiffy)
- Vortex Rangefinder
- Grunt tube
- Bow pull up rope
- Field wipes
- Knife
- Pruning shears (seldom used)
- Couple spare accessory hooks
- Bottle of water (more if long/all day sit)
- sandwiches / clif bars

@Bassattackr ok I'll bite, why milkweed

I'll always carry a granola bar or some kind of food going forward, in addition to the water bottle. I got pinned down this year on what was supposed to be a morning only hunt, and ended up sitting dawn til dusk. The water was nice, but I got hungry.

@Bassattackr ok I'll bite, why milkweed

Because it's the only wind indicator that checks thermals. Windicator chalks, bottles, etc all let you find wind direction but Milkweed is the only thing I've found that is neutrally bouyant and will go in the direction of thermals in the absence of (or very little) wind.

- Frosty high pressure (30.3") November morning, no wind - 6:20am: Milkweed drops to the ground and falls, matching the path of flowing water downhill. The ground is still cold, the sun hasn't gotten to it yet, and the thermals are still falling.

- Frosty high pressure (30.3") November morning, no wind - 9am: Milkweed goes straight up like smoke up a chimney. The ground is now warm, the sun is warming it and now the thermals are rising..

What would have a windicator bottle have told you about either of the above? Absolutely nothing. Except, damn there's no wind, nothing can smell me, except where I walked in.. And you'd be exactly wrong when that first doe walks by at 7am - below and downhill of you stomping, and then leaving.. Busted. :emoji_smirk: