What's Happening With My Red Pine?

Terrific_tom

5 year old buck +
I was up to my land to do some planting this past weekend and noticed that several of the red pines that I have planted for a screen had busted leaders. They were all good 2 weeks before. I had several things that I thought could have happened. What do you guys think?

Wind

Wind, hail or some shining neighbors who are doing some preshining brushing.

LOL. Don't think it is preshining brushing as most of the broken leaders are on trees that are pushing 8 to 10 feet tall.

Last edited:
It happens all the time, but I don't think there's anything you can do about it. One of the remaining shoot will take over as leader and grow more vertically. When I have that red or white pines with that problem, I just keep an eye on it so two leaders don't form, which would create a fork in the tree. If you have two branches that look like they will be dual-leaders, just cut one off so there's only one leader. The tree will have a little crook in them to begin with, but as the tree grows in diameter it will be less noticeable.

You seem to be getting good annual growth on your red pines, where are they planted and what kind of soil do you have there?

It happens all the time, but I don't think there's anything you can do about it. One of the remaining shoot will take over as leader and grow more vertically. When I have that red or white pines with that problem, I just keep an eye on it so two leaders don't form, which would create a fork in the tree. If you have two branches that look like they will be dual-leaders, just cut one off so there's only one leader. The tree will have a little crook in them to begin with, but as the tree grows in diameter it will be less noticeable.

You seem to be getting good annual growth on your red pines, where are they planted and what kind of soil do you have there?

My land is close to Antigo, WI. Soil type is Antigo loam whatever that means.

Antigo silt loam is the state soil.
I think that happens when the current year's growth can't hold up its own weight.

^ Have no fear......Sandbur (aka Jack Pine Savage) can graft those leaders to good-as-new condition. ;)

My trees too have put on lots of growth this year. I think just as Dipper sez......too much growth too fast....and they break off. Wind or birds don't help matters.

Figured out what was causing the problem. Saw crows trying to perch on top of them. Looks like I need to do some crow hunting.